Chapter 3

Hearing this I was fast on my feet and even before I could contemplate what I was doing, I shouted, "Noo! Dr. Atharv can't be the head of preparation." I realized that the words were already out of my mouth before I could stop them.

Thus, accepting my faith I tried to say a few words as damage control, "I didn't mean to come off as a rude person but I can't work for cultural fest without Meera by my side. We have been doing this together for three years, now I can't accept a freshie as my partner." Oh shit! This is not damage control, all I am doing is causing more damage.

Atharv, trying to keep his composure, replied, "I might be new here, but I'm more than capable of handling this responsibility, Professor Atreyi."

He is really getting on my nerves, why can't he understand that I don't want to team up with him. "This is a huge event. Experience matters, and you barely know how things work around here.I can't spend the entirety of my time instructing you about each and everything." My annoyance is evident in my words and my composure is hanging by a thin thread.

"I may not have the same history at this institution, but I bring fresh ideas and a new perspective," Atharv said firmly. "Isn't that valuable too?"

Crossing my arms, a skeptical look in my eyes, "Fresh ideas are fine, but they don't replace experience. I was hoping to work with someone who already knows the ropes."

Atharv took a deep breath, his frustration rising and control over his anger was slipping from his hands, "Just because I'm new doesn't mean I'm incompetent. I wouldn't have been chosen if I wasn't qualified." Saying so, he stood up from his chair and I could see that he would burst anytime now.

As I was about to instigate him further so that he would willingly give the post back to Meera. But, before I could implement my plan as Principal sir stood up from his chair and said with his voice slightly raised, "Enough, both of you! I would request everyone to leave the meeting room as the meeting is adjourned but you two stay back."

As all the faculty members filled out of the room, Principal sir said, "Would anyone of you like to explain your behavior? Why are your mouths shut now ? Speak up!"

Lowering my head I stared at the floor suddenly finding the floor too interesting. This is my first time getting scolded by Principal sir. It makes me realize how much pampered I am that even though I have been working here for three years now but this situation never occurred.

"Listen, you both are professors now bickering like kids doesn't suit you. In this situation both of you are at fault. Atreyi your persistence to work only with Meera and not with anyone else was highly unprofessional. And Atharv the way you simultaneously argued with her to prove your potential was also not needed. You being appointed as a professor here speak volumes about your potential.

So, i want you both to team up and work for making this year's cultural fest a huge success. And I don't want to listen to any complaints from anyone of you. You both need to swallow your egos and you can't ask anyone to take place or do your work." Saying so Principal sir turned away from us and that was our cue to leave.

Exiting the room I started walking towards my department but a voice called out to me, "Wait!" I turned towards the source and saw Atharv walking towards me. What does he want now ? Is spoiling my mood on the first day of this session not enough?

Stepping into my personal space he said, "Don't even think that this is over. You messed with the wrong person, neonata."

With that he turned around and left, leaving me shocked to the core. Did he just call me baby girl? I am definitely not a baby.
What does he think of himself?