Chapter 1

Thank you for giving my book a chance. I hope you enjoy it. ❤️

__________________________

Traffic...

A whole lot of traffic, all around me. Cars, motorbikes honking their horns as if this will magically clear out all the traffic. Knowing that I will be stuck here for quite some time I turn my car's engine off and look out of my window towards the sky. Even with my AC on I feel like a melted unattended icecream on a kitchen counter.

I wouldn't have been this late if I had left for my flat last night only. But the idea of having macher jhol bhat (rice and fish curry) as dinner that was too made by my pishi (aunty) felt so tempting that I couldn't resist it and decided to stay at my aunty's house for the night. But now being stuck in this jam and moving at an even slower pace than a tortoise makes me regret my decision.

After an excruciating ride of more than an hour I somehow reached university. But my usual spot at the parking lot was taken. For once I am late and my parking spot is taken, can this day get any better? Luckily the spot next to it was still empty and I parked my car there. I step out of my car, collect my things before locking it. I bent down to arrange my saree pleats neatly and headed towards our department, greeting back the students who were greeting me.

"How was your weekend Atreyi and how did the date go ? When are you meeting him next ? Did he kiss you and did you guys had ... ?" she stops at that wiggling her brows suggestively.

Meet Dr. Meera Singh my friend and my colleague who is hell bent on setting me up with someone. Because according to her raisins are juicier than my love life, which is true but I won't accept that in front of her.

"No, Meera nothing happened. I left the restaurant within twenty minutes of meeting him. His eyes were stuck to my cleavage, I actually had to tell him that my eyes are up here", referring towards my eye.

"It's okay, I didn't had a good feeling about him anyways. I will send you the profile of the next guy, I think he will be your perfect match." That's the thing about Meera, always supportive and tries to cheer me up although her means of cheering me up are rather questionable.

"No, Meera I can't play dress up every Saturday night and go to a new restaurant only to come out is less than half an hour. These weekly talking phases are not working out for me. May after a few months I will think about it and even the new session is starting from today which means cultural fest is also round the corner. Now I can't waste my time on going to these silly dates" completing my rant and hoping that Meera would just drop the topic.

Although the look on her face assures me that we would be again discussing this topic sooner or later but drops it for now.

Nodding her head she tells me, "By the way the new mathematics professor is here and according to my sources he is a hottie. Would you like to meet him ?" Again that ghost of a smile is back on her lips. How her girlfriend tolerates her will always be a mystery to me. This woman is not even phased by my rant I just finished giving a few minutes ago.

But before I could reply Tarun, our college staff comes to us and tells, "Atreyi Ma'am, Meera Ma'am there will be a meeting at 12 PM to introduce the newly appointed professors and to discuss the theme for this years cultural fest. So Principal sir has requested all the professors to be present at the meeting room in Block A."

Smiling Atreyi replies, "Thank you for informing us Tarun." Nodding his head Tarun departed from there.

Even before turning towards Meera I knew what would be her reaction. She squealed, yes a 32 year old professor squealed like a school girl and trapped me in a bear hug. "See it's fate, destiny wants you both together" patting her back with a much less enthusiasm I stepped back from the hug.

That's the thing about being an introvert, you can never reciprocate someone's enthusiasm and that often results in lossing friends. But Meera understands me so she never takes these things to her heart for which I am extremely grateful.

"By the way pishi (aunty) sent some snacks for you" the moment she hears snacks, she snatches my bag from me and took out the tiffin. "Will you care to move to my cabin or do you want your students to watch you eat like a hungry lion ?" Hearing this she fake glared at me and asked, "I eat like a hungry lion ?"

Laughing at her antics I pulled her towards my cabin. Even before I could close the door of my cabin, half a shondesh was inside her mouth. Looking at Meera's obsession for sweets nobody will believe that she is not a bangali.

Although it's the first day after vacation, official classes will resume from next week. So we spent our time catching up on each other's lives and devouring sweets. But as I move my gaze towards my wrist watch it clearly shows that we are late for the meeting. Biting my tongue for my carelessness, I get up from my chair and tell Meera to close the tiffin and start pulling her out of the cabin.

We speed walked towards the meeting room and stopped just outside the door catching on to our breaths. Once our breathing was under control I open the door to step in...

___________________________

So the first chapter is here. ❤️

Did you like our protagonist Dr. Atreyi Banerjee?

Favourite part from this chapter ?

I haven't shared any character faces or aesthetics as I wanted to give you all the freedom to imagine the characters as you want. But if you want the faces I will provide them in the next chapters.

Lastly I would like to confess that this is my first book and english is not my first language. So I will make mistakes but I want you all to correct me so I can learn more.