Chapter 2

I could see the tension etched on Navya's face as we approached the Gianni Versace fashion store.

"Hey, why are you so anxious?" I asked.

"Nandani, I missed the dress rehearsal yesterday because I was really sick. I needed to rest so I could make it to the exhibition today. Instead, I sent my assistant Nicolas in my place. I'm worried about which models will be wearing my dresses and whether the event will go smoothly," Navya replied, nervously chewing her nails.

"First of all, stop biting your nails. I'm sure the event will be absolutely amazing!" I reassured her with a confident smile.

"Hope so, fingers crossed," she murmured, closing her eyes.

I couldn't help but smile as I observed her. After all these years, she hadn't changed a bit. She was still the same Navya I knew a decade ago, the Navya who would get anxious before exams or competitions and nervously bite her nails.

As we walked into Gianni Versace, the fashion store looked stunning. A massive banner hung on the wall, proudly displaying the event's name: 'Glitz and Glamour - Fashion Show'.

Just then, Navya's assistant Nicolas appeared, offering a warm greeting.

"All set?" Navya inquired eagerly.

"Absolutely, Ma'am! "The makeup artists are putting the finishing touches on the models," Nicolas responded.

As the show was about to begin, Navya turned to her assistant and said, "Dear, please arrange for my friends to have front row seats."

Cabir and I hugged Navya, wishing her luck. She thanked us for our support and headed backstage while her assistant arranged for us to sit in the front row.

As the lights dimmed and the crowd grew quiet, the air was full of excitement. It was the moment everyone had been waiting for-the start of the show! The anchor, dressed beautifully in a white gown, took command of the stage. She announced the launch of Navya's first-party wear collection.

With a burst of energy, the curtains opened, revealing the first model ready to walk the runway. All eyes were on her as she walked down the catwalk, full of confidence. She wore a stunning off-shoulder red satin ball gown with intricate lace designs that captivated the audience.

The second collection was the bridal collection! It was an absolute showstopper, no doubt about it. When model, Mukti Wardhan walked down the runway, Cabir and I could not help but exchange excited glances. We were low-key wondering if she was our long-lost school friend Mukti. The audience went absolutely crazy, showering her with thunderous applause and hooting. It was crystal clear that she had made a name for herself. She looked like an angel in that breathtaking white net bridal gown and delicate veil.

The next collection was for teens. The show stopper for this collection was a teenage girl named Imara. She wore a high-necked black top and a black short midi-length skirt with skinny leggings. The collection featured a wide variety of teen outfits.

The last collection was for men. The show stopper for this collection was Abhimanyu Singh and again a smile crept on Cabir and my face. He wore a white shirt, black ripped skinny jeans, and a black leather jacket over them. There were some lovely designs on the leather jacket. Even though I do not know much about fashion, he looked incredibly hot in that outfit.

There were chattering among the spectators. What a talented designer Navya is. Her designs are exceptional.

Last but not the least, it was time for declaring the fashion show over. After which Cabir and I, slipped backstage to meet Navya where we found her talking to Mukti and Abhimanyu. We had a group hug.

"Ten years, we are meeting after ten damn years," Abhimanyu beamed.

"Guys, did you meet Dhruv?" Mukti asked and we shook our head.

"Is he a model too?" I inquired.

"No, darling, I run DG2 Model Management Agency," a sharp voice cut in. We turned to find him standing there, a smile playing on his lips as he approached us, enveloping us in a warm embrace.

"Man, you were sitting right beside us and we did not even recognize you." Cabir remarked with a smile.

"Well, how could you? I was quite fat back in school days, but now I've bulked up," Dhruv chuckled.

"Damn, ten years-ten whole years have flown by," Abhimanyu said quietly, his smile widening.

"The trip to Ladakh... oh, what an unlucky trip that was," Dhruv lamented.

I closed my eyes.

"You cheated on me, Nandani! Just shut up. I don't want to hear anything. It's over. "You stay with that Harshad," these words began to echo in my ears.

"Nandani?" Mukti's voice brought me out of my reverie.

"Yes," I responded, refocusing on the conversation.

"Are you okay?" Dhruv's concern was evident in his tone as he looked at me.

"I am fine," I assured him, smiling faintly.

"I have to say, Navya, your designs are truly beautiful," Dhruv complimented.

"Thank you so much, Dhruv," Navya replied, her smile widening.

"Single or taken? I'm sure you have girls swooning over you," Cabir teased.

"Single. Still on the hunt for the perfect partner," Dhruv answered casually.

"In the course of searching for a perfect partner, he has dated around three hundred girls," Abhimanyu joked, making us all burst into laughter.

"So, what about you two?" Navya asked Abhimanyu, and, Mukti.

"We're engaged and planning to get married soon," Abhimanyu replied, giving Mukti a quick peck on the lips.

"And what about Cabir, and, you Navya?" Mukti wondered.

"Not engaged yet, but it's in the cards," Navya answered with a smile, as Cabir gently kissed her hand.

"Nandani, what about you?" Dhruv asked. "Single or taken?"

"Single," I replied with a smile.

"Oh, high-five!" Dhruv let out a laugh. "I am relieved I am not the only one. I was starting to feel a bit embarrassed!"

His remark had us all in fits of laughter.

"Don't tell me, Nandu, you're still waiting for Manik to come back?" Mukti asked.

"It's not like that," I replied, nervously fidgeting with my fingers.

"Ten years have passed, and you have not changed. You never learned how to lie," Dhruv remarked.

"Nandani, Manik may have moved on with his life," Mukti said softly.

"My heart is not ready to accept that," I said, my voice filled with grief.

"Your heart is deceiving you, and you are speaking like a fool," Abhimanyu stated firmly. "Think about it, Nandani-Manik has not contacted you once in these ten years. No letters, no calls, nothing at all."

"Guys, let's go to Ladakh again. We can head to my place and plan the trip," I suggested.

"Nandani, please no..." Navya begged, her voice quavering. She began to sweat profusely, and her hands trembled with fear.

"Navya, it is been ten years since that tragic day," Cabir said, wrapping her in a warm hug.

"It was just an accident, Navya," Abhimanyu added gently.

"Guys, Nandani is right. Let's go to her place and plan the trip to Ladakh," Mukti interjected. After a moment of hesitation, they all nodded in agreement.