Chapter 20: Hermes stops wasting our time

A/N: Hello everybody, from this point forward this book will be written in the past tense rather than the present. This is because I've recently experienced some troubles with writing and I feel like writing in the past tense just comes more naturally to me. I hope it's not too big of an issue. Love you all!

"There's no way in hell I'm doing that!" My voice rang out over the foyer and a couple of heads turned my way, confusion etched deep into their features. I made sure to lower my voice and continued, "I'm not going to interrogate Thanatos during our training-sessions!"

"Why not?" Ada pouted. "You're literally training with him, you are perfectly capable of asking him some questions. Also we're in the Greek Underworld so it's 'no way in Tartaros'. Stick with the vibe."

I turned away from Ada and cast a fleeting glance over at Lucas, still laying limp on the couch. Screw the vibe, or our 'mission'. The most important thing right now, is making sure everyone is alright. That didn't just mean Lucas had to be alright, it also meant Thanatos had to return, because - judging by Chloé and Hermes mentioning him constantly whilst rapid-firing Ancient Greek at each other - him being gone wasn't normal. 

Which was strange because - according to the files Ada had 'acquired'  (we all know that's a euphemism for stolen, I mean, let's be honest) - he was gone all the time. It was almost as if the king of this realm cast his illusions over everything, making sure no one would ever be able to learn anything true about his court.

"Does he do that often?" I made a faint gesture at Lucas and turned back to face Ada. Her face momentarily softened.

"Not that often, he's also learned to control it more and tap into it on his own lately."

Good, I didn't feel like seeing that again any time soon. My body still involuntarily shivered when I thought about what had happened mere minutes ago. "Isn't he supposed to like... say something though?"

Ada snorted a small laugh. "No, he usually sees or hears visions and then draws them or writes them down. Most of the time he sees where there's new demigods, that's why Thannie is always here when-"

"Why are you calling him that?" I interrupted. "It makes sense when you call him that to his face, but... ?"

She turned her head in a circular motion. "But...? Also"- her tone hardened -" Don't think I can't tell what you're doing. You're trying to distract me from pushing about the whole interrogating thing." She wiggled her eyebrows excessively. "Aren't you?" A grin snuck it's way across her features making her look less like a human and more like, well, a great-great-great-great-great-(I honestly don't know how many greats I should add here) granddaughter of the Greek god of mischief.

I could feel blood rushing to my cheeks. "That's not what's happening at-"

"You couldn't lie even if you had to do it to save your life, darling." she leant back, nearly causing her to topple off the very backless barstool she was sitting on. She straightened herself and tucked one of her curls back behind the shell of her ear. "You're going to either do it or die trying. Understood?"

"You look about as threatening as a guinea pig." I stated whilst looking over her features. It was pretty clear she was attempting to look menacing, but she just didn't.

"Looks like a cinnamon roll, could kill you." 

"Lucas!" I shouted whilst sprinting to the sofa, because the weak voice, still raspy from - I actually don't know why his voice sounded raspy - was unmistakably his. I squatted down next to him and absentmindedly dragged the back of my hand over his forehead.

Oh gods, he's glowing

I smiled at him. Happy to know that he was, at the very least, alive. Maybe a tad feverish with bags underneath his eyes and a voice that sounded like he went to a festival and sang along to each and every song the night before, but still, alive.