Family

Jason got up earlier than normal, and got ready to meet Mao Ka Long. He took the bus to Chinatown and started walking around. He stopped at a confection store and bought a few snacks. Most were for him, but he made sure to buy some for Mao Ka Long since he had a sweet tooth. Jason figured if he's gonna be asking for advice he should bring the older man a gift.

It was funny after seeing the news last night about people being killed in Chinatown. The streets were packed, and nobody was walking around like they were scared. Jason found a little tea shop, and walked inside. Immediately he saw the owner. An older man with his long grey hair tied into a neat bun. This was Mao Ka Long's shop officially it was a tea shop, but everyone knew it wasn't just tea being sold here.

"It's been a while sir." Jason said as the older man turned around and saw Jason.

"Mr. Walker it really has been a while. Hailey told me you may be stopping by, and filled me in on what's been happening with you. At least what she was aware of anyway." Mao said as he beckoned Jason to follow him into a back room. After following the 2 were in a small room with a small table and tatami mats.

"Have a sit young man." Mao said as Jason sat down. The older man was the closest thing to a grandfather that Jason ever experienced. For a while he'd stop by anytime he was in Chinatown and have tea with him. Mao Ka Long brought out 2 cups and filled them with tea before setting one in front of Jason. Mao sat across the table with his own glass, and took a sip of the hot tea.

"Hailey told me I should come talk to you. That you'd have advice for me." Jason said taking his own sip of tea. It was green tea his personal favorite.

"Yes she told me you'd be visiting. I was a little upset that it took someone telling you to visit to actually get you back in the shop." Mao said as Jason looked around sheepishly.

"Well after Hailey and I broke up I didn't think it was smart to come here. I mean everyone in Chinatown kinda treats everyone else here like family." Jason said rubbing the back of his head.

"That's right, and everyone knew that the 2 of you broke up because of you taking a job from Mirko. However I knew why you were taking that job, so I tried my best to smooth everything over. You could have come back here anytime Jason." Mao said as Jason took a deep breath. That job for Mirko had cost him a lot, but it was worth it to him cause he was able to help Emily.

"Does Emily know?" Mao asked as Jason looked at him confused.

"Does she know what?" Jason asked back.

"Does she know how you got the money for her surgery?" Mao asked as Jason thought for a moment on how to answer.

"She knows I take jobs from the various gangs. So she has to know that I got the money from doing a job for a gang, but no I don't think she knows which one." Jason said as Mao sighed.

"I take it she also doesn't know what the job was then. You and I are a lot alike Jason, so I don't want to see you make the same mistake I did." Mao said as Jason closed his eyes remembering what exactly the job for Mirko was.

"Before I came to the states I was a big name in China. I didn't have my own crew but I was well known and well feared among the Chinese underworld. But I hid what I did from my family, and they simply saw me as the good son and man I tried to be. Then one day I was out making collections and after beating a collection out of a guy I looked around and realized my little sister had seen all of it. I froze in that moment before one of my crew mates snapped me out of it." Mao said as Jason winced at the thought. Emily knew what he did but she'd never seen him working like that, and he didn't want her to ever see that side of him.

"Oh it gets worse. My sister told my family, and they shunned me. Not long after my mother collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. She needed an operation or there was no chance she'd survive more than a month. The operation was more than the rest of my family could afford. However I had the money I could pay for it and she'd be fine. The second I offered my mother said she'd rather die than accept that money, and that she was ashamed of me. She said that and pretty much told me that I had become a monster. I went back day after day begging her forgiveness, and after 2 weeks my mother died in the hospital. I never got that forgiveness." Mao continued as Jason listened intently. Mao never talked much about his life before coming to New Duivel.