VIVA LAS VEGAS

January 1922.

Las Vegas, Nevada.

I hadn't spoken to or heard off of Val for nearly two years by now, but it didn't matter. Because I was simply too smothering myself on blood to matter, or I was sleeping with the next person I found, thrusting them out of my bed and hurling them into the hall whenever they tried to do something with me, like morning sex, or cooking me breakfast.

Bex and Nik had been brilliant company for two years, Bex was now effectively dating bartender Laurie. A year and a half of the two of them rolling around in one another lustfully. It made me scream and kick in displeasure whenever I would hear the two of them having sex, in the sinless hatred of me abhorring the sound of sex.

There is a certain independence on being alone in the world once more. When you are with someone, you are not utterly alone. Valentina was gone, and I wasn't in love anymore. For two years, I was completely disconnected from the idea of loving someone completely and utterly romantically, and I was 100% okay with that.

"We could go to Vegas."

Rebekah pointed out at the start of January, the three of us were in our usual booth in the club. Gloria was singing, as per usual, I had missed Val singing at the front and centre of the stage. She crossed my mind every single second of the day, but I was incapable to bring myself to terms that I didn't have her anymore.

"Why would we go to Vegas?" I raised an eyebrow, supping on my whiskey with a lemon wedge and ice in.

"Bex wants to get hitched." Nik scoffed, I laughed as well but Bex was absolutely monotone and kicked my heel.

"You're not serious." I was still laughing when I looked up at her face, with utter horror veining through it. "Tell me you're not serious, Rebekah."

"Why wouldn't I be? Laurie is perfectly capable of being my husband." Bex folded her arms, brooding a little bit.

"Does Laurie even know you want to get married?" I doubted, Bex went voiceless for once. And I raised both of my eyebrows.

"Well..."