Hiding in The Clouds

"I'm outside," Ray said.

Phone to her ear, Genevieve hurried to her window and pushed the curtain aside. Ray was just stepping out of his car, looking suave and unfairly handsome in a black dress shirt and tailored dark trousers.

It was useless to stop her excited grin. "Hey, Ray."

Ray glanced up in search of her apartment window.

"First floor," Genevieve said. "I'm waving."

When Ray looked in her direction and smiled, Genevieve's heart dipped to her stomach. It's been forever since she saw him.

"Ready?" He asked in that deep mellow voice. "Or do I need to come up?"

Genevieve turned away from the window. "Be down in a second." Stopping in front of her mirror, she twisted this way and that. The tan bodycon dress was a perfect fit but phew. She placed a hand on her belly.

"I'm nervous," Genevieve mumbled as she tucked her thin braids behind her ear. In times like this, she missed Ada. The cupid would be chattering nonstop, suggesting attires and dishing tips and tricks. Now that she thought of it, Ada was quite good at choosing clothes that suited Genevieve.

Sadness pricked Genevieve's heart as she tugged on her shoes. It has been what? Seven days? Or eight? She wasn't so sure. Since Ada said her vague goodbye, she had yet to see the cupid again. What did that mean? Were she and Ray a done deal? Even if they were, Genevieve still missed Ada. And it may be silly, but she had already formed an elaborate plan on how she'd collude with the cupid to give Lisa a sound thrashing when next they played cards.

Genevieve sighed as she made her way out of her apartment. Ada would come back... certainly.

Ray was leaning against the hood of his car, long legs crossed at the ankle and focus fixed on his phone. A giddy rush spread through Genevieve at the sight. This was new. She had had numerous crushes in the past and most of the excitement she felt when seeing them usually faded after the first few meets. But with Ray it was different. All he had to do was breathe in her direction and she'd be excited.

I should blame Ada. Maybe if the cupid hadn't put the idea in Genevieve's head that Ray was her destined partner, she wouldn't like him so much. Hell, she had missed him like crazy for the past week. The thought of resuming the job on Monday with him around was both exciting and frightening.

At the sound of her approach, Ray looked up from his phone. First, he appeared dazed as he blinked at her before slowly dragging his gaze from her head down to her strappy heels.

Genevieve gave herself a mental fist bump. I still got it. Yes, be blown away, batman boss.

Kicking aside the sudden shyness she was feeling, Genevieve did a little sashay. "What do you think?"

Instead of answering, Ray strolled over and pulled Genevieve by the waist. Her heart was a crazy thing in her chest. And gosh, he smelled divine.

"Lost the ability to think for a second there," Ray said against her lips. "You are stunning."

Genevieve shrugged and looked away. "Um, thanks."

His chuckle rumbled against her chest. "Hey." He gently urged her to look at him. "I missed you."

Smiling, Genevieve looped her arms around his neck. For the life of her, she couldn't meet his eyes so she just stared at his lips. "Missed you, too."

Ray hummed as he brushed his lips against hers. Genevieve leaned into the kiss, slanting her head to the side and cradling the back of his head. The warmth of his lips, her heart beating in her ears and the excitement rushing through her veins—bliss.