Chapter Eight

When the initiates came in after lunch, I stood there nervously, fidgeting a lot. Tobias gave me a reassuring smile as he waited for all of them to enter. Once they were all standing in front of us quietly, looking confused about what was happening, he spoke up.

"We have something we need to tell you guys..." Tobias said, glancing at me and then at them. "Don't look so nervous. It doesn't really affect you guys that much."

I cleared my throat, "We only decided to tell you this, well... Because there seems to be some issues..." I say glancing at Layla.

Layla fidgets.

"Four and I are-"

"Dating? Yeah, we know," one of the initiates said.

My head snapped up. Ava was the one who said it. But... How do they know?

"It's kind of obvious. You look at each other randomly and practically have conversations without even talking," Jasmine says, answering my question.

"And you argue like an old married couple," William muttered.

What? There's no way they all know... I look around at their faces. Layla looks angry and scared, and Robert looks embarrassed. Looks like the two of them weren't on the bandwagon like the rest of them apparently are.

"I saw you guys go into your apartment a few days ago," Liam said, laughing slightly. Our apartment, as Liam said. The thought makes me smile. And by the looks of it, it makes Tobias smile too.

"I also was you guys. During the rising. Like, when you stayed at Amity," Luke said, his hands in his pockets.

"I saw you guys in Erudite," Michayla says. "Anyone who doesn't know who you guys are must be very oblivious. We're very lucky to have such brave people as our instructors."

I blinked a few times. Oh. Here we are pretending this whole week to not be dating and the majority of them already know. Why did we think they wouldn't know? We were practically the most known faces during the insurgence, and we visited every faction in the process.

"Wow, we thought you didn't know who we were," Four said, "Just for, uh-, some reasons... We thought it would be best to hide it."

"Why would that be something you need to hide?" Jasmine asked, her eyes moving from mine to Tobias's. "You two helped make everything the way it is today. You are the reason divergents aren't hunted. You are the reason our genetics can be cured and why our factions are in utter peace. Many of us would be dead if it weren't for you."

I stared at her awestruck, "I didn't know you all knew so much."

Tobias scratched the back of his neck, slowly looking at me. "I guess we are more popular than we knew," he laughed awkwardly. "This is good though. I like being open with you all. Being on the same page makes us feel more like a team."

I nod my head in agreement, "Just don't start making out in front of us," Frank says, sarcastically.

They all laugh and I blush, "Alright, alright. Back to work," 

Tobias says, "Who wants to hear the list of fights?"

They all groaned as he pulled out a piece of paper from his back pocket. "William and Layla. Michayla and Sophie. Robert and Jasmine. Liam and Ava. Frank and Cole. Luke, you will have to sit out today."

The fights went well, and there were no ruthless beatings this time around. William beat Layla in their fight, and I tried not to enjoy it... Tried. Michayla won in her fight with Sophie. Sophie doesn't give up, but she also doesn't put up much of a fight. Jasmine beat Robert, because he didn't defend himself like I taught him, and she eventually caught on to his weakness. Liam won over Ava. He has strong muscles and a tall frame so it wasn't a hard fight for him. Frank and Cole had an even fight and both called a truce at the same time, but they were fighters, and didn't call it out until both of them had blood dripping down their faces.

Although I do not morally like watching young sixteen year olds hurt each other, I know it's the only way they can gain experience to be able to protect themselves in the future. It also brought a smile to my face to see them improving in every area that Four and I mentioned to them. After I made sure they were all okay and not severely hurt Tobias and I headed home.

I hopped playfully on his back, giggling. "I need a piggyback ride good sir,"

"Of course my fair maiden," He said, before running super fast down the halls. He ran over the chasm, across the narrow walkways as I screamed.

"FOUR BE CAREFUL!" I laughed, gasping for air.

"Well looks like the love birds are no longer fighting," Christina called from down the hall.

I climbed off of his back, panting. Christina walked up to us, smiling. "Was it my expert advice?" She asked.

"Yeah, sure." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Are you two down to coming to a party tonight at my place? I think quite a few people will show up."

"We were just on our way home..." Tobias said, glancing at me.

"No, let's go." I smiled at him. "We don't do anything fun ever. When does it start?"

"Yay!" She squealed, hugging me. "Come by in an hour. And dress nice! That means the both of you!" She ran off, probably to finish planning for her party.