𝐥𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢 ~ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐨𝐭

~ Benny waves to you ~

ψ

Moving away from your beloved home in Seattle, Washington was hard. You had so many friends there, a nice house by the shores of Puget Sound, and a good school. But now you were here, in California, hauling box after brown box into your new house. It was cutesy from the outside, but small and a bit cramped compared to your old home. Thankfully, you were an only child, so space wasn't a big deal, but you missed the spacious rooms that were so familiar and cozy. The only good thing about this place was the baseball field practically in your backyard.

"Make of it what you like, but you will live here for the rest of your teenage life, [Name]," your father reminded you as you sat on the porch, head resting on your palm as you stared at the dusty hot pavement of your new street.

"Okay, Dad," you responded, but your mind was elsewhere. There were kids playing in four driveways on your street alone, and the sounds of dogs barking, cars rumbling, and kids laughing was like an orchestra right in your ear. You missed the peaceful lapping of the waves back home. You wanted to go back.

"Go make friends with the neighbors," your mother ushered you, nudging your back with her foot. You groaned and stood up, trudging down the street. All of the kids were way too young to be your new friends, so you decided to turn this into a little mission. You turned the corner right and, to your surprise, a huddle of boys were cramming themselves through a wooden gate. They were all around your age, maybe younger, but you thought it was your best shot. Creeping closer, you stuck your head over the fence and watched as they played a pickup baseball game, running and shouting as one boy swung at the ball.

"Foul!" the makeshift ump screamed as the ball sailed toward you, right in front of your face. The guys all gasped as you stuck your hand out, catching the ball and stopping it from colliding with your nose.

"Holy . . . That's a girl!" a boy with thick glasses cried.

"Good observation," you snarked, tossing the ball to the pitcher again. The boy with the bat waved to you, smiling, and you returned it, walking away from the fence. This definitely wouldn't be the last time you saw them around.