Chapter One

beginning author's notes:

heyyy guys, i'm not sure how many reader understand hindi or not so i've added the translation to any hindi dialogue right after the dialogue happens. please let me know if you'd like me to keep doing this or not because if no one really needs to translation i probably won't add them but i'm not sure yet.

ALSO: obviously shipping real people is completely different but i don't encourage or condone any short of harassment. obviously this is a real ship but anything that im writing about is completely FICTIONAL. also i obviously don't know any of these people personally so it's all make believe (obviously). these are legit just fictional characters based on real people but nothing abt this is REAL.

anyways, please enjoy.

June 2021

The sun begins to set by the time the team finishes their training session. The team is already headed back to the locker room, Shubman and Ishan following a few steps behind.

"Ishan, you coming?" Hardik asks, looking back over his shoulder. "Mummy aaj tu mare karke cooking kare ha. (Mom is cooking for you today.) We gotta get to my house on time."

Ishan glances over at Shubman who was tossing his bat into his bag before looking back at Hardik and nodding, "Yeah, no I'm coming."

"Okay," Hardik mumbles before continuing walking back to the locker rooms.

Ishan waits for Shubman to catch up before walking as well, "You seemed locked in today."

"Hm," Shubman hums, dragging his bag along. He shrugs, "Tryna be the best, I guess. I want to win the world cup next year."

He smiles, nudging Shubman playfully with his elbow, "You'll get there, yaar. We're all counting on you to lead us to victory."

Shubman grins, though there's a hint of nervousness in his eyes, "Thanks, Ishan. That means a lot."

As they reach the locker room, the usual banter and laughter greets them. Ishan quickly showers and changes into more presentable clothes for Hardik's house.

"Arrey, Ishan! (Hey, Ishan!)" Rohit calls out, waving a water bottle. "Looking nice, nah? Where are you headed?"

"Going to Hardik's place," Ishan replies, drying his hair with a towel. "Uski mummy ne aaj special cooking ki hai. (His mom is cooking today.) Can't miss that."

"Oh, special invite?" Surya asks, glancing over at Hardik and offering him a mischievous smile.

Hardik shrugs and rolls his eyes playfully before throwing an arm over Ishan's shoulders, "Of course, yaar. Ishan mera chota bhai hai. (Ishan is my younger brother.)"

"Yeah yeah," Surya jokes, lightly tapping Ishan's cheeks. "Enjoy karo, hum log kya farke? (Enjoy, what difference does it make for us?)"

Ishan grins, "Thanks, bhai." He grabs his bag and phone, "I'll wait for you outside, yeah?"

"Yeah yeah, go," Hardik nods, letting go of Ishan.

Ishan walks out of the locker room and towards Shubman who was standing alone in the hallway, staring down at his phone.

"Whatcha doing?" Ishan asks, walking up to Shubman and trying to look over at his phone.

Shubman quickly puts his phone away, "Nothing. Just asking my sister what the plans for tonight are. We might go get dinner."

"Oh, she's in Gujarat right now?"

"Yeah, she just came down to visit before she goes back to Punjab," Shubman explains.