Chapter Five

"Ishan," Shubman whines as the shorter boy stares down at his phone. "Get off your phone, bro."

Ishan rolls his eyes before putting his phone down, "I was just on Instagram."

"We have to disconnect from technology," Shubman comments, leaning against the roof's brick railing.

"Aache, you've been posting non-stop and I can even watch reels?"

"Yeah, I'm excited about you being here."

Ishan snorts, "Okay, yaar."

Shubman thinks for a moment before speaking, "Do you wanna go see the Indo-Pak border? It's only a ten minute ride."

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"No, why would it be? My grandpa owns land there, I used to go there all the time as a kid," Shubman explains. He grabs Ishan's hand, "Come, I'll take you on my Bullet (type of motorcycle)."

Ishan smiles, "Fine."

Shubman grins before leading Ishan down the stairs and to the driveway where his motorcycle and other cars are parked. He grabs his keys before throwing a leg over the bike and turning to Ishan, "Get on."

"Okay okay," Ishan mumbles before swinging his leg over the bike and settling in behind Shubman.

As Shubman revved the engine, the vibrations ran through Ishan's body, heightening his senses. He hesitates for a moment before wrapping his arms around Shubman's waist, feeling the warmth of Shubman's body against his own.

As the bike takes off down the bumpy alleyways in the village and finally out on the main road, Ishan's heart races from the closeness he feels to Shubman. The wind whips past them, carrying the scents of the countryside. Ishan tightens his grip around Shubman, feeling the steady rise and fall of his chest.

Every turn and bump in the road brings Ishan closer to Shubman, his chest pressing against Shubman's back. The sensation feels exhilarating and intimate. As they near the border, the landscape changes subtly. The fields were dotted with more frequent clusters of trees, and the air carries a slight tension. Shubman slows the bike and pulls over near a field owned by his grandfather.

They walk a short distance into the fields and find a spot underneath a large tree. The fields stretch out until they're stopped by a black wired fence in front of them. The fields begin again on the other side of the fence. The air is filled with distant sounds of nature, the chirping of birds and the rustling of leaves creating a peaceful ambiance.

As they settle in, Ishan leans back against the tree, "This place is incredible. It's crazy to think about how this was all one and now it's divided."

Shubman nods, his eyes following a bird flying overhead, "Do you think these birds know that they're in India and a few minutes down they're going to be in Pakistan?"

Ishan hums, looking over at Shubman, his thoughts reflecting on the deeper implications of Shubman's words, "They probably think it's all one."

Shubman chuckles softly, "Yeah."

They sit in silence for a few moments, each lost in their thoughts. The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm, golden light over the fields.

Ishan glances at Shubman, the fading light highlighting the sharp lines on his face, "What's the plan for 2022?"

Shubman's eyes sparkled with determination, "Cricket, of course. Winning the IPL, then winning the T20 world cup, then doing well during the test matches."

Ishan nods, "You're gonna do all of that. I don't doubt it at all."

"What about you?" Shubman asks, turning the question around.