Chapter Nine

October 2023 – November 2023

The three months that Shubman and Ishan get to spend with each other in between test matches and the World Cup turn out to be some of the best. People on social media became more invested in their 'friendship' than they did in who Shubman was dating, something that helps Ishan down. Of course, the chatter and media pieces about Shubman and Sara were annoying but he drowns them out with cricket and their private moments.

Maybe it's because they've finally let themselves relax about hiding their relationship, but even the team notices the insane amount of time they spend together. It's actually a little fun, the way Ishan and Shubman can show so much affection towards each other and everyone labels them as 'really good friends.'

He even shows Shubman the fan edits that get made of them, "Look at the comments," He says, shoving his phone in Shubman's face.

Shubman looks over and usually replies with, "People say they would support us, but you know the truth."

It's a little upsetting when that's the response Ishan gets to edits and the comments that say they would support Shubman and Ishan's relationship. But he understands that Shubman is more practical than he is, probably enough for the both of them.

The World Cup has been something else. It's become a spectacle of hope, determination, and national pride. The air buzzes with anticipation as the matches progress, the team getting closer and closer to the trophy. The stadiums are packed to the brim, and the cheers create a feeling that Ishan can't even put into words.

He had started out strong, his performance earned him praise from both fans and critics. Yet, as the tournament progressed, he found himself benched as a batter, his role reduced to just a wicketkeeper. It's a blow to his confidence, a reminder that even his best isn't enough. The decision to bench him was unexpected, coming from the same coaching staff who praised his batting yet deemed it not quite enough for the crucial matches ahead.

Shubman, on the other hand, was thriving. His performances were steller, and he was quickly becoming the face of the Indian cricket team. Every shot he plays is met with the applause, and every run he scores brings the team closer to victory. The over-enthusiastic PR doesn't hurt Shubman's image either. Shubman Gill: future of the Indian cricket team.

Despite his own struggles, Ishan can't help but feel proud of Shubman. Watching him play, celebrate every century he makes, and win every match, reminds Ishan of why he fell in love with Shubman in the first place. Yet, as he watches from the sidelines, a small part of him can't help but feel that his role in the world cup is being overshadowed.

The nights after the matches are a blur of recovery sessions, team dinners, and restless sleep. Ishan often finds himself lying awake next to Shubman, replaying the games in his mind, analyzing every move, every mistake. The noise of the crowd, the lights of the stadium, the rush of adrenaline– it all replays on an endless loop.

As the finale gets closer and closer, his conversations with Shubman become brief and often centered around the game.

The media coverage becomes relentless. Cameras following their every move, journalists dissecting their performances, and social media buzzed with speculation and opinions. It's a double edged sword, the praise was validating but the criticism is harsh and unforgiving.

"What are you thinking about?" Shubman asks, walking into their bedroom. He leans down and gives Ishan a kiss before moving over to the vanity.

"Nothing," Ishan replies, snapping out of his thoughts. "Just tomorrow's game, I guess."

Shubman looks back, "We're gonna win."

Ishan hums, leaning his back against the backboard, "I know."