Chapter Four

December 2021

Six months pass by in a blink of an eye. Between practice, test matches, and anxiety about the upcoming IPL season, Ishan doesn't realize that it's already the end of December. It was tiring, constantly working but it's a feeling that Ishan shares with the rest of the team.

"Where are you going for vacation?" Hardik asks Virat, packing his bat and gloves in his bag.

Virat shrugs, "Honestly, it's been hard to travel with Vamika. We might just visit my mom and then her parents. They like helping out with the baby, giving us a nice break."

Hardik hums, "I think I might leave Agastya with my mom and Krunal for the weekend and go to the Maldives."

"Devisha and I have an amazing month-long vacation planned for Europe," Surya says, a proud look on his face.

"Being child-free sounds so fun," Shubman comments before snorting, leaning against his lock.

Ishan hums in agreement.

"Kids change your life, yaar," Rohit says before quickly adding, "In a good way."

"You don't sound so sure, Rohit bhai," Ishan comments.

Everyone breaks out into laughter and Rohit rolls his eyes, "Tum abhi bache ho, you won't understand. (You're just a kid, you won't understand.)"

"Yeah, Ishan, you're still a kid," Shubman says to Ishan before sticking his tongue out.

Ishan rolls his eyes before moving closer to Shubman, "What are you doing for vacation?"

"I'm gonna spend the whole month in Punjab," The taller boy answers with a wide grin. "I miss my pind (village), man. And the house just got done so it's a nice time to visit. Also I miss my grandparents so much, yaar."

Ishan hums in agreement, "Me too. I'm just going home to Patna, nothing interesting."

"Well, it's still fun to be around your family, no?"

"Duh, I miss my mom and dad so much. I haven't even had the time to call them this week because I've been so tired."

"We can plan something, though. After Lohri, we can meet somewhere in the middle," Shubman offers.

Ishan bites back a smile, trying to seem casual about the sudden invite to spend a part of their holiday together, "Hm, call me after New Year and we can figure something out."

"I'll call you at 12AM sharp on January 2nd," Shubman jokes.

"I'll be waiting," Ishan winks.

Ishan steps out of the taxi and takes a deep breath, this street has smelled the same since he was a child. He grabs his bag from the backseat and heads towards the front door of his parent's house. Before he can even ring the bell, the door swings open, and his mother, Suchitra, rushes out to greet him.

"Maa!" Ishan exclaims, dropping his bags to wrap his arms around her.

"Ishan!" Suchitra hugs him tightly, her eyes brimming with tears. "Kitna patla ho gaya hai tu!"

Ishan laughs, "Bas practice aur matches mein busy tha."

His father, Pranav, appears at the door, a proud smile on his face, "Suchitra, andar toh aane do usse!"

Ishan grabs his bags and steps inside, taking the familiar sights of his home. The walls are adorned with family photos and the aroma of his favorite dishes wafts from the kitchen.