Chapter Two

author's note: still set in 2021 until mentioned otherwise 

The bustling streets of the city are a stark contrast to the quiet dinner Ishan and Shubman had planned. The restaurant was a local Punjabi one which Shubman swears he discovered. It's tucked away in a quiet alley with dim lighting and an intimate atmosphere.

As they sit down, the warm and inviting aroma of Punjabi cuisine fills the air. Ishan feels a bit nervous, but Shubman's easy smile helps him relax.

"Don't worry, the aunty and uncle who run the place know me so they won't snitch on us or anything," Shubman assures, winking playfully. He clears his throat before continuing, "So, how's practice going for you?"

"It's been good," Ishan replies, grateful for the casual conversation. "I've been working on my technique, trying to stay consistent."

Shubman nods, "I've noticed. You've really improved, especially with your footwork."

Ishan feels his ears getting hot, "Thanks, yaar. Means a lot coming from you."

"Well, you're making it really hard for all the players so that's always a good sign," Shubman grins. He adds, "Especially for Jasprit paji."

They share a laugh, the initial awkwardness melting away. As the evening progresses, their conversation begins to flow effortlessly. They talk about cricket, their ambitions, and share stories from their childhood. Ishan finds himself opening up in a way he hasn't with anyone else in a long time.

"You know, when I first started playing, I was terrified of making mistakes," Shubman admits, taking a sip of his drink. "I felt like everyone was watching, waiting for me to mess up."

"I know exactly what you mean," Ishan says, nodding. "Sometimes it feels like the pressure is just too much."

"You know my dad made me play in front of Yuvi paji's dad. That was like... such me woh moment ni muhje bhool tha. (I can't forget that moment). I was so scared," Shubman admits before softly chuckling.

Ishan laughs along before speaking, "Yuvi bhai ka dad mere sapne bhi aata hai (Yuvi's dad shows up in my dreams). Like you know, nightmare type? I just see his red eyes and he's like... tum bakwas cricket khelate ho! (You play trash cricket!)"

Shubman breaks out into another laughing fit, holding his stomach at Ishan's words. His eyes carefully study at Shubman laughs, palms sweaty and ears red. Why is he so excited that he made Shubman laugh?

The taller boy eventually stops laughing and leans back in his chair, "I guess you just have to realize that everyone makes mistakes, no? Just matters if you learn from it."

Ishan hums in agreement before taking a sip of his water, "I guess it's just hard to remember at the moment."

"Well, that's why we have each other, right? To remind us when we forget," Shubman replies, offering Ishan a soft smile.

Ishan feels a warm feeling spread through him at Shubman's words, "Yeah, you're right."

The waiter arrives with their food, settling down an array of delicious Punjabi dishes: butter chicken, saag paneer, bhindi sabji, roti, and more.

"Wow, this is amazing," Ishan exclaims after taking a bite of the butter chicken. "You really know your food, Shubman."

Shubman grins, pleased with Ishan's reaction, "Told you it was worth it. My mom would disown me if I didn't appreciate good Punjabi food."

Ishan chuckles, "Your mom must be an amazing cook then."

"She is," Shubman agrees. "I miss her cooking when we're on the road, but places like this help."