Chapter six

As we all sit down to eat, the table is laden with a feast that looks almost too good to be true. The centerpiece is a beautifully roasted turkey, golden brown and surrounded by an array of side dishes. My mouth waters at the sight, and I feel a pang of homesickness thinking about my family's Christmas dinners. I push the thought aside, determined to enjoy the evening.

Daiki, sitting across from Mikoto, is already up to his antics. He's making silly faces at Mikoto, who rolls her eyes but can't hide her smile. Asami gives him a mock-stern look. "Daiki, behave yourself," she chides, but her eyes are twinkling with amusement.

"Sorry, Mom," Daiki says with an exaggeratedly innocent expression. He picks up a piece of turkey and pretends it's a puppet, making it dance around his plate. "Look, the turkey wants to say hello!"

Everyone laughs, and the sound fills the room with warmth. Mikoto leans over to me and whispers, "He never changes. Always the clown."

I smile, feeling a bit more relaxed. "He's funny, though. Keeps things lively."

As we start eating, Mikoto nudges me and whispers again, "Have you noticed how South keeps looking at you?" She winks playfully, and I feel my cheeks flush.

"Stop it," I whisper back, trying to hide my embarrassment. "You're imagining things."

But I know she's right. Every time I glance up, South's eyes are on me. There's a softness to his gaze that's both comforting and unsettling. I can't help but feel a bit self-conscious, but also a little flattered.

Kenzo, sitting at the head of the table, is engaged in a deep conversation with South. "So, how's work been?" Kenzo asks, his tone serious.

"It's been busy," South replies. "But fulfilling. I can't imagine doing anything else."

Kenzo nods, looking thoughtful. "That's good."

Asami chimes in, her voice warm and welcoming. "Yuna, Mikoto told me you work at the hospital. How's that going?"

I smile, grateful for the change in topic. "It's challenging but rewarding. I love helping people and making a difference in their lives."

Asami nods, her eyes kind. "That's wonderful. I work as a florist, and while it's very different from what you do, I understand the satisfaction that comes from doing something you love."

"Mom's flowers are the best," Daiki adds, grinning. "She can make even the dullest room look amazing."

Asami laughs, clearly pleased. "Thank you, Daiki. I do my best."

The conversation flows easily, and I find myself relaxing more with each passing moment. Daiki continues to entertain us with his jokes and funny stories, making everyone laugh. His energy is infectious, and even Kenzo cracks a rare smile now and then.

At one point, Daiki stands up, holding a piece of turkey in one hand and a napkin in the other. "Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Great Turkey Magician!" He waves the napkin dramatically, pretending to make the turkey disappear. "Abracadabra!"

Asami shakes her head, laughing. "Oh, Daiki, you're incorrigible."

"That's why you love me," Daiki replies, winking at her.