Chapter sixteen

I walk into the hospital with Mikoto, our laughter echoing through the corridor. The familiar scent of antiseptic and the soft hum of medical equipment brings me a sense of normalcy. Despite the chaos of my personal life, here, I feel grounded. We part ways at the nurse's station, and I head to the staff room to grab my patient list for the day.

As I start my rounds, I greet each patient with a smile, checking their vitals and ensuring they're comfortable. The routine tasks help me momentarily forget the turmoil outside these walls. But my heart skips a beat when I see Grandpa name on the list.

I make my way to his room, feeling a mix of anticipation and anxiety. As I push the door open, I see Dr. Tanaka standing by grandpa's bedside. They're deep in conversation, and I catch the tail end of Dr. Tanaka's reassuring words.

"...and with the surgery, we expect a full recovery. There's no need to worry, Mr. Sano."

Dr. Tanaka notices me and smiles. "Yuna, good timing. I was just discussing Mr. Sano's surgery. I need you to handle all the necessary analyses and radiographs."

"Of course, Dr. Tanaka," I reply, feeling a surge of excitement and responsibility. "I'll get right on it."

Dr. Tanaka turns back to grandpa. "We'll take good care of you. Just relax, and let us handle everything."

As Dr. Tanaka leaves the room, I approach grandpa, who looks up at me with a warm smile. "Good morning, Yuna. It's always a pleasure to see you, my dear."

"Good morning, grandpa," I reply, using the affectionate name that Mikey uses. "How are you feeling today?"

He chuckles softly. "Oh, you know, the usual aches and pains. But I hear there's good news about my surgery."

I nod enthusiastically. "Yes, it's going to make a big difference. We'll make sure everything is ready for you."

Grandpa's smile fades slightly, and he gives me a pointed look. "I'm a little mad at you, though."

I blink in surprise. "Mad at me? Why?"

"You promised to visit me, but you didn't come," he says, his voice gentle but firm.

Guilt washes over me. "I'm so sorry, grandpa. My brother came to visit, and I had to spend some time with him. Yesterday was my day off, and I got caught up in... things."

He pats my hand, his expression softening. "I understand, my dear. Family is important. Just don't forget about your old grandpa here."

"I won't," I promise, squeezing his hand. "I'll make it up to you. How about I bring you some homemade Sushi next time?"

His eyes light up. "Now that sounds like a deal."

I start preparing for the tests, feeling a mix of happiness and relief. "So, are you nervous about the surgery?" I ask as I set up the equipment.