Encounter with the Plain-Jane

Leo adjusted his tie in the private elevator of Zhang Enterprises' towering skyscraper in Shanghai's CBD. He rhythmically tapped his foot on the lift's plush carpet, a nervous habit. A quick look at his Zenith Christopher Columbus watch confirmed he was four minutes and thirty-three seconds late. He anticipated the old man's signature high-voltage frown; after all, the multi-billionaire Zhang Chen was well aware that his heir, Leo, only graced the office a few days each week. That is, when Leo wasn't jet-setting to some exotic locale or, more bluntly, occupied with romantic escapades. The reason for today's unexpected summons was a mystery to Leo. It had to be a critical meeting with a high-profile client.

The moment the elevator chimed, and the doors glided open, Leo stepped out with determination. Ms. Huang Fen, his father's secretary, hurried toward him, her smile strained. Unfazed, Leo strode briskly to his father's office, with Fen clattering behind in her high heels, trying to keep pace.

"Mr. Zhang, your dad's waiting for you in the conference room." Leo stopped. The middle-aged woman's gaze settled on Leo's neck and her eyes just rolled a fraction in disapproval. In response to Leo's 'what now expression' she fumbled through the documents in her hand and extracted a black gold file for him. A file of that color meant one thing, new business deal of high importance. Damn if only he had paid more attention to his emails. Ah well what the old man's judgement was for. Leo knew his father was one of the best in the business. One day he would be like him, maybe when he was forty or fifty. The later sounded better because for now he was going to enjoy life.

"A brief summary would suffice," drawled Leo chucking the folder towards Fen.

"Japanese software deal."

He reached the conference doorway, "Good summary, Arigatou Lady Fen."

Thank God this meeting was the final stage of signing the deal. Fortunately, which didn't take long. When the clients walked out, Zhang Chen, loosened his tie and poured himself some brandy. "That went well", commented Chen taking a sip of his drink. His jaws moved slowly as if he was trying to taste the essence of the liquid. Typical gesture of his father.

"Yes, that was quick. Did you just call me for this settlement?" asked Leo grabbing the nearby bottle of water. Last night's alcohol consumption was enough for him.

"Always in a hurry to leave the office. I understand my boy. Your grandfather and I have made this empire so that you don't have to work your butt out here. But one day you'll have to take the reins."

"Thanks dad but not now," cut in Leo.

"Ah well I called you here for an errand."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Your grandfather is in Tongli Town. He was supposed to return today from Suzhou City, but the old man detoured to Haven Retreat in Beilian village in Tongli Town."

"What is he doing there?" inquired Leo frowning.

"He has stopped there for a few days. You see Haven Retreat belongs to an old friend of your grandfather. And before you ask again, you have to get some important signed documents from your grandfather, the reason for his trip to Suzhou City. Our lawyers need those documents by tomorrow the latest."

"I see a long boring journey ahead of me," said Leo dryly.

"Sorry my boy. You know what the old man is like, if he has asked for you then he expects you only."

Leo smiled and got up, "Anything for him dad."

* * *

Leo journeyed past the blooming rapeseed fields of Beilian village. The expanse of lush, green and yellow fields afforded him a serene delight.