The Xing Dilemma

Min tapped her foot, filled with anticipation. Leaving Nainai was possibly the most significant decision of her life. Once the decision was made, it was irrevocable. Consequently, she sat beside an ecstatic Meng Yao in Mr. Zhang's luxurious Mercedes, which smoothly stopped before an automated gate. A security guard emerged from his booth, alert and attentive. As the Mercedes glided down the driveway, Meng Yao gaped in amazement. "Wow." While Min straightened her, black-trimmed glasses to have a proper look.

Zhang's Mansion epitomized the luxuries a billionaire could possess. It was a modern architectural marvel, with its vast white structure boasting curvilinear designs that formed stunning, curved balconies and expansive glass windows. The property featured a generous green lawn adorned with artistically landscaped gardens and elegant fountains, complemented by extensive two-way driveways converging onto a circular cement forecourt at the mansion's entrance. Opulence radiated from every facet of the estate.

Elder Zhang's driver, Mr. Li Hui opened the car door for them. As Min got off, she saw Meng Yao fan her face and blow out the air before grinning at her. Min was no different; she muttered through tight lips, "I can see too."

"Make yourself at home girls." Elder Zhang smiled as he signaled for them to walk in.

Shortly after Elder Zhang had retreated to his room, Min and Meng Yao settled into the elegantly designed, contemporary living room. Before long, a slim woman with dark, short hair, dressed in a designer coral dress, made her way toward them. Her lively curls and sparkling eyes exuded the vibrancy of a cheerful disposition. As she embraced Min and Meng Yao in a warm, hearty hug, Min caught the intense fragrance of her alluring perfume—an intriguing gesture for a first encounter. "I've been looking forward to meeting you girls. I'm Su Shan, Zhang's daughter-in-law," she introduced herself, while her eyes briefly scanned and dismissed them, as if both the girls needed an extreme wardrobe makeover. "Don't worry. I have things sorted out, starting from the accommodation to your wardrobe. You'll stay in Zhang's mansion while the latter will be fixed in no time." She lowered her voice as if sharing a secret, "I have cleared my schedule for shopping tomorrow."

* * *

Leo sat across from the girls at the dinner table. Their allure captivated grandpa, evident from the twinkle in his eyes and his attentive listening. Even dad and mum were drawn into the lively discussion. Leo, on the other hand, was either engrossed in his meal or tracking the conversation as it bounced from one person to another. He wasn't particularly interested, yet he found himself unable to look away from one girl. Xing Min, once a nerdy bookworm clad in spectacles, jeans, and a hooded sweater, had blossomed into a stunning woman with long raven hair, her glasses still perched on her nose. He hadn't noticed her hair before, but now, waves of black curls fell over her petite frame, an extraordinary shade resembling bluish black. He was certain he would have remembered such striking long curls had he seen them before. But no, he was sure he hadn't, Leo was completely certain of that.

Zhang Su Shan, Leo's mum, inquired, "I understand that you girls have come to Shanghai City for employment. What type of job are you looking at?"

As usual, the chattier girl, Meng Yao, answered, "Event organizer, specifically, wedding organizers."

"I am sure the gentlemen of this house can come up with something for you girls," hinted Su Shan with a narrowed gaze at her husband.

"Of course," offered Chen, coloring a little, perhaps realizing that he could have offered to help earlier, "Leo can look into that, isn't it?" He waved his hand towards his son. Trust dad to pass the buck thought Leo.

Both the girls looked at him, one smiling with gratitude while the other had a blank expression. Expecting nothing from him.

"Zhang Enterprise is a software business, and we don't do weddings," he smiled at Meng Yao, who was pouting at him now, "But I can ask my friends to help. I hope you are not planning to start a business straight away?" Before he could explain his comment further, Min cut in.