The Pain Jane is Chosen

A few customers browsed through the massive display of wines from one of Zihao's member-exclusive stores. Only the rich could afford membership fees. In return, they get a selected range of the finest wines supplied periodically. Elites came into the store to make their selections by tasting wine. Designer lounges in shades of red were positioned at various stations in the endless shiny tiled hall. Each recliner set had a fair-sized crystal chandelier hanging above it. Customer service attendants stood at multiple counters, ready to serve the filthy rich. It was an abode of luxury to impress the wealthy, thought Leo.

 "I made a few checks, and there is no lead about the person who has leaked your pictures to the media," said Zihao, swirling the glass of wine.

 "But there was a small group of them," highlighted Leo. He was unhappy with another round of Min and his photos appearing on social media. A short dance to please the elderly women became an internet sensation in a night. Usually, his workers kept everything under control, thoroughly monitoring every photo or news regarding him. After all, he was the Zhang billionaire heir.

 "But I have discovered that the photos and videos have only been coming from one source. Perhaps they all work for one person, but who?" wondered Zihao aloud. He sniffed his wine as if it would make his mind race.

  "That one person must have some good hacking skills and the support of someone influential," reasoned Leo. Was it Jian Yu? Could his friend do that in the name of a wager? But why would he? Would Jian Yu not want to suppress Leo's popularity in the media? "Did you hire someone to follow me?"

  "Well, that was part of the wager. That we'll monitor your every move," chuckled Zihao. "I can guarantee you, and it's not Sean or me. We are just keeping watch on your activities, that's all," Zihao finished innocently, scratching his belly a little.

 "The fucking wager," barked Leo. He realized that all the while, though unknowingly, he had been making news with a simple woman. However, that woman was Min, a forbidden fruit.

  "This is not any wager, Zhang Leo; it is 'The Plain Jane's Wager,' which is already making news in The Bachelors' Circle. And for your information, everyone thinks you are dating Min," informed Zihao, grinning.

  The Bachelors' Circle was a website dedicated to all the filthy rich playboys. Ironically, not all members were bachelors; it included married men keen on having extra-marital affairs too. It has more to do with a bachelor at heart. It had information on upcoming parties, gossip, and news of who was dating whom. A members-only website that had online betting too. It's easy to guess that Leo and Jian Yu's wager would be the highlight. Leo's image was at stake now. Leo then reached a decision and announced, "Min, it is then."

      *  *  *

  Two guards greeted Leo as he entered the Tanzick Wedding Planners building. As soon as he had moved out of Zihao's store, Leo called Peng Xi, his secretary. He asked him to buy a cute, cuddly gift for Min and to arrange for a private detective ASAP. Now, before meeting Min, he must do one more task.

 The plump administrative assistant more than willingly guided Leo to Xi-Wang's office. On his way, he heard a few sighs and chuckles, most probably directed at him. Leo gave Xi-Wang a full dose of his breathtaking smile as soon as he entered her office.

  "What do you want?" She tried to be stern but ended up smiling in return.

 "Nothing much except your permission to meet Min in the office as her boyfriend, of course."

 "Seriously? You want to date Min?" echoed Xi-Wang, surprised. Then asked as an afterthought, "Have you fallen for her innocent charms, you naughty player?"