01

𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚌𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚍𝚊.

𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉ℯ𝓇 ℴ𝓃ℯ

~ 𝓟𝓵𝓪𝔂𝓲𝓷𝓰 ~
𝓗𝓸𝔀 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝓵𝓲𝓯𝓮
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓕𝓻𝓪𝔂

𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑 𝟿𝚝𝚑 𝟸00𝟿
𝟾:0𝟹 𝚙𝚖

📍𝚃𝚘𝚛𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚘, 𝙾𝙽📍

It's days like this I wish my older sister wasn't the way she is, she always acts like my mom and bosses me around yet when I ask for one favour it's rude? I don't understand it and I don't think I ever will but all I wanted was to sit at my desk and draw when the music from her tv was too loud. She thinks because she is almost a teenager she can do whatever she wants, news flash you can't! I love her though.
I huff while walking to my desk to put my pencil down when I see the blue truck pull into the house next door, I didn't realize we would be getting new neighbours. Cute ones, cute boys, one who looks my age. I see his bright blue eyes glowing from here, so I decide to get dad.
"Daddy!" I call through the house once I reach the bottom of the stairs.
"Yes Stella" he calls back as I reach the living room.
"We have new neighbours, can I meet them"
"Well your in luck, I have invited them to dinner tomorrow night. You know one of the boys are in your grade"
"Really" I smile excitedly, I love nothing more than making new friends (except reading, I love reading).
I hop up and run up the stairs, shutting my door behind me then picking out some pjs from my wardrobe which ended up being an old blue Toronto maple leafs t shirt, so old the letters are peeling off. Then I put on grey sweatpants with pink stripes up the side then a new pair of socks. Something I have always done is wear socks, going to bed, socks. Sandals, socks. I hate having cold feet, tonight's socks were green with little kiwis on them.
Once I brushed my teeth a crawled under my zebra patterned blanket and set up my record on my nightstand, I can't fall asleep without music and todays record was "death and all his friends" by Coldplay. My favourite song "viva la vida" coming on first which is usually the same amount of time it takes for me to fall asleep.

10:𝟻𝟾 𝚊𝚖

I woke up bright and early, 11 am! I've never been a morning person, my whole life I've hated waking up for school. But today was special, I had things to do. So I jumped out of bed and put on a purple long sleeve with black jeans and pinks socks that had strawberry's on them. March in Toronto isn't very warm so i settled with a grey snoopy hoodie over top.
When I reached the bottom of the stairs and saw an unfamiliar man and women with 3 kids at the front door I was a little nervous, but then I saw the same blue eyes from last night and calmed down.
"Oh yes, this is Estella my youngest daughter" Dan says while moving Stella to stand in front of them.I hate when he tells people my real name because I hate how long and formal it is while Stella is short and simple.

"Nice to meet you Estella, I'm Ellen this is Jim" the lady smiles.
I wave with a small smile.
"Hey Stella why don't you go out and play for a bit before lunch" Dad suggests.
I nod my head and he ends up inviting Ellen and Jim inside while the 4 kids play in the front yard.
"Estella do you like hockey?" The oldest boy asks whose name I have learnt is Quinn.
"Yea I do, also don't call me Estella"
"What do we call you then?" He asks back.
"Just Stella is fine, Estella is to formal"
"Stella it is, okay you said you like hockey. Why don't we go play out back in our rink"
"Sounds good. Let me grab my skat-"
"Quinn!" Ellen shouts out of the Jordan house.
His eyes dart up to his mom who seems stressed and worried. He jogged up to her and listens to her instructions.
Soon enough he comes running back, sterling now coming out of the house behind him.
"Guys come on, we're going to our house" Quinn orders as Sterling comes up to me.
"Lin, what's happening?" I ask my older sister who seems scared.
"N-nothing it's fine. Come on"

All the kids shuffle into the Hughes household, taking off their coats and boots.
Quinn and Sterling started on some hot chocolate, while Luke and Jack set up a movie.

I didn't know what to do, so I just anxiously sat on the couch while they scrolled through Netflix.
Sterling came over and sat on the other end of the couch with Quinn and Luke.
"Relax" Sterling mouthed to me when she gave me a mug of hot cocoa.
So I did, Jack tossed me a blanket and I leaned back. I put my mug on the table and let myself fall asleep.

𝟹:𝟶𝟿𝚙𝚖

"Stella" Sterling woke me up with tears in her eyes. I shot up and looked at her.
"What's happening"
Ellen was also standing near, she looked worried.
"Come on we have to go to the hospital"
I looked at her confused again before standing up and wiping my hands over my face.
I threw on my coat and boots and walked with Sterling as we got in Ellen's car.
"Can someone tell me what's happening" I ask.
"Dad had a heart attack" Sterling says.
My eyes went wide, I've learnt about them in health class.
"Is he okay" I cry.
"he's going to be just fine hun" Ellen assures.
My eyes begin to glass over, the thought of something bad, anything bad happening to my dad makes me really upset. Even if I know he will be okay, I can't help but think of a possibility he isn't.

We arrive to the hospital and I stay as close to Ellen as I can get. Sterling is a few steps ahead to try and get to dad quicker, but apart of me is scared to see him. What if he isn't the same.

When they call Ellen over to the front desk, I get nervous. Some part of me feels really safe around her, her whole family.
She came back as fast as she left and said we could go see him. Sterling was off to the races, but I took my time, thankfully when I got to the room he still wore the same smile I have always seen him with.
My whole life he has had a smile on his face, no matter the situation and he tired his absolute hardest to make me wear a smile all the time. Of course whenever I lost a hockey game I would get upset, but then he would mention the word "dippin dots" and the corners of my lips would perk up.
"Come here girls" he calls, me and Sterling sit on either side of him on the hospital bed.
"Have you learned about heart diseases yet?" He asks us, Ellen has decided to step out into the hallway.
"Yea" Sterling nods, I shake my head no.
"Well, I have been diagnosed with one. It's not bad and I can get medicine to make me feel better. Okay?"
"Are you gonna be okay?" I ask.
"Yes Stella, I will be just fine.

Lie.