16

Jacks POV

Fast Forward

June 21st, 2019

4:15 pm

Where is she.
So many things are going through my head, the number one- shockingly not being about the draft- but where Stella is. She told me should would be here, but as of a few months ago she's been so distant, except our 18th birthday we had blast.
I hardly see her outside of work or school, she'll occasionally come to games and I'll see her here our family's get together but I just feel like she doesn't like me anymore. Which really, really blows because I was gonna tell her everything.
How I like her and have liked her since we were 10, 10! I've been keeping this stupid secret for 8 years and now I think we're drifting and there isn't anything I can do about it.

Then I heard what sounded like heels clicking down the hallway followed by laughter, her laughter. The knock at the door startled me, quickly rushing to my feet to open it, revealing Stella with her hair curled and a yellow dress that looks stunning on her.
"Ellen sent me to make sure you look presentable, what's going on..." she trails off when she sees my jacket still hanging up on the closet and my hair is a mess.
But of course, she only came to check on me because my mom sent her, I slightly let out an annoyed sigh and walked away, letting her walk into the room.

She took one look at the jacket before grabbing something from the hotel closet, I don't even know what it is but it sprayed some sort of mist on the jacket.
"I have to wear that in 20 minutes, don't get it wet" I groan but she keeps doing it.
"It's a steamer, row. Calm down"
I put it on and she turns me to face her, she starts fixing up my collar and tie before smoothing the front of it down.
"Hair brush?" She asks, my lips turn flat and I shake my head. She laughs before brushing through my hair with her fingers, letting her nails scratch at my scalp which tickles a little bit.
We both laugh at my ticklish-ness then she turns me towards the mirror, the resting the side of her face on the side of my arm.
"I'm proud of you" she whispers, I smile and continue to look at her through the mirror.
She's beautiful.
I can't let her get away from me again.

4:50 pm

"Nervous?" Stella asks once she returns to our seats after getting a drink, a blue slushy she chooses, that means they don't have cherry coke.
"Not really, I think my mom is" I whisper the last part, we both look at my mom and her leg is bouncing up and down.
"She's always done that" Stella replied, I agree and we talk about the after party which she claims she won't go to but I really want her too.
"Come on stel, Quinn's going"
"Jack, he played on your team last year. I'm not going, I didn't get drafted"
"Soooo" I whine.
"Jack, I'm not going. Plus, dad said we're flying back in the morning.."
My eyebrows raise a little bit.
"You are? You said you were going back with us-"
"He has an appointment"
And after that I shut up, mom told me a few nights ago that Jason's cancer was back. I didn't know what to say, it's Like my brain froze and though back to the first time she had told me.

"Jack" she waves her hand in my face. I hadn't realized I zoned out, I look at her, she looks worried.
"Yea"
"He'll be okay, okay?" She put her hand over mine, which I flipped to hold her hand and squeeze it.

"Welcome to the 2019 NHL draft we'd like to thank..."
Okay, I know they have to do this stuff but can they make it any less boring. I might be retired from the nhl by the time they finish this, Stella even looks like she's about to fall asleep.
My dad and Jason look very invested tho, while Luke is scanning the crowd and Quinn is just.. Quinn.
Calm, content, I don't think I've ever seen him nervous which is odd, I know he has felt it at some point but he never shows it, I know that now. But growing up I always thought was just nervous over stupid things. I heard mom talking to her book club over the phone one time, how I'm the more "emotional" child. Whatever that means, so I've tried harder to keep my emotions under wraps, but it seems as though stella can see right through me.
"New Jersey devils, your on the clock"

Finally.

"We are proud to select, 1st overall from the USA national team development program, Jack Hughes"
Stella was up and cheering before it really registered in my head.
I went down the line that was on my left, which was the parents and Quinn, then Luke, then Stella for last.
"I'm so proud of you" she whispered yet again.
I smiled at her then kept going, I'll have to talk to her when I get back home, since she won't go out tonight but I understand.

I fell on top of the world, my friends all got drafted too, sucks we are all on different teams but nothing is taking me down from this moment.
There's this rush, that I can't explain. Knowing that this will be my life for the many years to come is incredible.
I just wish Stella was here to celebrate.