17

Estellas POV

June 22nd, 2019

6:28 pm

I was up all night, worried sick about dads appointment.
Then I was crying pretty much all day, because I was worried for the right reason. His cancer has come back, it's like it's haunting me.
When I was told he was diagnosed, we were supposed to be going on a weekend trip to Detroit for my hockey tournament. But i ended up having to go with the Hughes because dad had tests all weekend, I got 2 goals and an assist that weekend, Jack got the same.

What hurts worse this time, he won't do the chemo. He doesn't want to put himself through it because of how bad it was last time. I tried so hard to get him to do it, I can't lose him, but I don't want him to hurt.

Jack 🌷

Text me when you get home
Delivered 2:30 pm
Read 6:29 pm

I'm home
Come over

I looked at myself in the mirror before I left, you could totally tell I was in rough shape. So I changed out of the mascara stained t shirt and into a tank top, then left my black shorts on, since I will probably go for a run after talking to Jack.

I jog over, just in socks and no shoes, then I decided I didn't want to be in the house when I talk, I don't want anyone hearing me cry again.
So I knock, it takes a few minutes but Quinn ends up answering.
"oh, it's just Stella!" He shouts to the living room, turning back around.
Jack pops up from the couch confused, probably why I just didn't walk in.
"Oh stel" he sighs when he sees the tear stains on my face.
"can we sit outside" I ask quietly.
He nods and shuts the door behind him, we end walking around the house to the backyard and out to the couch. Where we sit next to each other.
"what's wrong" he says quietly, putting his arm around the back of the couch.
"My dads sick again" I sigh, then more tears start following from my eyes, but it didn't seem to faze him.
He just pulled me into a hug, letting my head rest on his chest as he rubs my back.
"He's not gonna do the chemo" I whisper, after moments of silence I felt a tear drop onto the side of my face. Making me look up to see Jack crying, which is rare because normally he won't let me see him like this.
"It's gonna be okay, stel,right" he whispers, waiting for me to agree. I really want to but I don't think it will be okay.
"Right" I whisper back.

We ended up moving from the outside couch up into his room, mainly because Luke had a few friends over.
Currently, we are laying on the bed while watching some baking show but the contestants are terrible baker's.
"Hey stel" Jack says quietly, Instead of just mumbling that I heard him , I fully turned my body to face him. Which to my surprise, Jack looked like he was about to cry.
"Yea" I whisper back.
"Are you gonna come visit me in jersey"
"Of course Jack, I'll even get an apartment right near you. I'll bake you those muffins that you really like and bring them over, I'll come to your games you might even be sick-"
It's when he cut me off that I realized I just ruined my surprise.
"Get an apartment near me? What?!" He says with surprise, now sitting up.
"shit" I mumble, then look at him as he is waiting for me to elaborate.
"I was gonna wait to tell you, maybe surprise you at your apartment when you move, but I'm going to NYU until I get drafted" I smile and let my face fall into the pillow.
"that's insane" he cheers and stands up, I look at him and he has the biggest smile on his face.
"Yeah?"
"Yes, oh my god. Stella I was so worried - I was - I thought I was gonna loose you again" he whispers the last part and sits down, hugging me.

"You couldn't get rid of me if you tried" I sigh.
"even if I stop keeping gold fish crackers around for you"
I move back and lay down instead.
"Watch yourself Hughes"
He chuckles before going to the top of his closet where he has a bag of gold fish, then passes them to me.
"You look cold, you want one of theses" he asks not looking over, but sifting through his hoodies on his hangers.
"Sure, I like the g-"
"Grey Nike hoodie, I know"
He throws it at me which knocks the gold fish over, spilling on his hardwood floors.
"I just vacuumed in here" he groans before we both go over to Clean them up.
She stopped and raised an eyebrow at him, for him to respond with "fine, mom did"

After cleaning up the gold fish, for some reason everything the two were saying was funny, while they were looking at old pictures that Jack had in a shoe box from Toronto.
"God I looked terrible in 2013" I scoff, playfully.
"You look crazy different now, in a good way" Jack responds.
"can't say the same" I whisper, his jaw flys open and he pushes me away without realizing how close to the edge of the bed I am. Causing me to go flying onto the hardwood floors making a thump.
"Oh shit I'm sorry stel" he says while the two of us die of laughter, calming down when the door opens.
"I think the house just shook" Luke says while walking in, making me scoff.
"Calling me fat Lukey?"
His face quickly loses a smile and he pales.
"No- that's not what I meant-"
Me and Jack keep laughing and Luke rolls his eyes and walks out.

"I'm tired" I finally think after laughing for what felt like eternity.
"Then sleep" Jack says while getting up to turn off the light.
"I have to go home" I sigh again, i bet Sterling isn't home yet, I don't even think dad is. He might be doing something for work. It's like Jack read my mind, he walked over to his window and moved the curtain. The only car in the driveway was mine.
"You'll be fine home alone?"
"No" I say and get up to go the spare room.
"Where ya going then"
"To bed..."
"Come watch a movie, I'm bored"
"Why, I'm just gonna fall asleep"
"Too. Bad" he whispers.
I giggle and move to lay on his bed, but first I had to grab one of his fluffy blankets from his closet.
"Why do you keep your room so cold?"
"So girls will have to lay with me to keep warm" he chuckles.
"Of course" I roll my eyes and lay down, not anywhere near him.
"Clearly it doesn't work" he scoffs.
I just chuck a few goldfish at him and he shuts up, continuing to watch mamma Mia!

I was right, I really just wanted to sleep, Jack was very attentive to the movie, so I don't think he would notice if I did. Till I closed my eyes and he threw a goldfish at me.
"you can fuck right off" I mumble and pick it up, then placing it my mouth.
I roll over and lay my head near his shoulder.

Moments later I'm woken up again by him putting his arm around my shoulders and pulling me over so i was laying my head on his chest, I kept my eyes closed though.
I still hear him snacking and the movies going, so he must still be focused. That's something I've learnt the past few years, doesn't matter the movie, he'll pay attention. I wish I could do that, but I usually have to be doing something else while watching a movie, I usually grab a pen and sketch random things on my hand, or I set it up on my computer in the kitchen and I bake.

Which makes me want to make muffins, like.. right now.
I remembered Jack saying earlier that it was just the boys tonight, Ellen and Jim were headed up to the lake house for a weekend time get it ready for the boys this summer. Jack invited me earlier, but I told him maybe.

Without saying a word, I stood up quickly and made my way down the stairs and out the front door. Running to my house and finding ingredients, then I started to make muffins. Raspberry banana ones, Jack loves them but he likes anything I cook, these muffins tho, are Luke's by far favourite so I made sure to make a few extra.

1:18 am

I didn't realize how late it was when I started, now I was even more tired and had 3 pans of muffins.
So naturally, I plated them up in 4 containers.
One for our house, one for the Hughes, one small container specifically for Luke which only has 3 in it, then some for just me which I ran up and put in the mini fridge next to my bed.

Quickly, I ran back across, unlocking the door using the keypad then locking it behind me. Quinn was up in the living room, looking at me confused.
"Muffins" I smile, bringing him the container.
"Sweet" he cheers, I tell him to save some for his parents then I bring Luke his.
"Luke" I quietly knock on his door, he opens it and jack is sitting on his bed.
"Muffins"
He gasps and Jack became much more alert.
"Where are Mine" he questions, I smile waving the container and he quickly stands up.