The Empress's Mistake

"Anakin, I don't think I can go any further," (Y/N)'s exhausted voice floated up from a location unknown, catching the attention of nearby troopers. Her little breaths of effort had a nearly erotic sound, freezing everyone in place as they attempted to confirm the source.

"Just a little more, sweetheart... there you go... nice and tight...," Anakin responded in an encouraging tone. 

The troopers began to shift uncomfortably back and forth, unknowing of exactly which direction to go in. After all, they were in a public space - yet the royal pair were tucked somewhere out of sight, but not out of earshot. 

"Almost finished," the Emperor's voice erupted into the silence once more. "Feel where my hands are? Push into it there - that's it - put your back into it."

A soft whine of effort from the Empress was all the troopers needed to be sent into a full on panic, scrambling to clear the space before being caught reacting so inappropriately to the woman's voice. 

Finally, a loud, metallic pop sounded from the corner of the hangar, signifying achievement.

"That's my girl," Anakin teased lightly as he popped out from under the warship, a winning grin crossing his face. 

(Y/N) scoffed, pulling herself out on the rolling dolly her husband had provided for her. Retrieving a clean handkerchief from her pocket, she began to wipe soot from her face, before turning to her husband to do the same. 

Anakin fought back playfully, whipping his head around every time she tried to clean him off until oil and dirt had been smeared across his cheeks. Despite his resistance, his arms remained locked around his wife's waist, holding her in place so that he didn't send her tumbling with his antics. 

"That was difficult," she admitted after a while, growing an exasperated smile. "I had no idea there were so many tiny mechanics involved in building these things. And when you had me trying to tighten those lug nuts with the wrench at the end, it felt like my wrist was going to snap."

"Your grip strength will grow with time," he acknowledged. "You did well putting that undercarriage together. That was a difficult task." 

"Thank you for teaching me," (Y/N) beamed in response. "You're an excellent instructor."

Anakin's eyes widened at the compliment, the sincerity in her eyes causing him to clam up with a heated blush. Deciding to look anywhere but at her, he cocked his head in confusion, glancing back and forth around the empty workshop.

"Where did everyone go?"

"They must have broken for lunch," his wife replied, taking advantage of his confusion to capture his face in her hands. "Let me clean you up so that we might go eat, as well."

Anakin scoffed as she rubbed at his cheek, muttering something about the dirt being manly, but waited patiently as she worked.

The mess hall was packed by the time they arrived, which, of course, was not a problem for the Emperor and Empress themselves. Seated at a smaller table on an elevated level towards the back of the room, the two were able to observe their workers eating as they, too, participated in the feast.

"I usually eat with my men, if I'm already down here," Anakin had informed her days prior. "Rex, my captain, is also like a friend to me. Give or take. So, on days that I work in the hangar, I don't take lunch alone."

(Y/N) had nodded understandingly - from the beginning of her stay, she had been encouraged to eat in a high dining room by herself, an isolating and rather depressing experience. She had always insisted that Padme eat along with her, and had recently been doing the same with Ahsoka, too.