Chapter 6

"I like people too much
or not at all."
- Sylvia Plath

    "Not him saying you are not pretty enough for him to buy you another drink!" Eden's mouth is wide open from shock.

We are sitting in my apartment, on the floor, eating my leftover mac and cheese. It's a Saturday and the weather seems nice. Not that I have been outside today.

I want to tell her about my encounter with Tobias as well, because I am so stressed about meeting this Nicole, but I know that she would be mad at me for how much impact that conversation has on me. I am too embarrassed to tell her.

"I know.." I say quietly, shaking my head.

"What an absolute dick!" She exclaims and lays down with her arms under her head.

"And the funniest is," she gets up, "he looks like a stick with big head!"

She lays down again.

I chuckle.

"I'm sorry, girl." She says softly, finding my hand.

"No, really, it's more funny than sad." I shrug my shoulders and lay next to her.

"Let's stop talking about that idiot." I say and squeeze her hand in mine.

She suddenly gets up again. Her eyes are almost sparkling from excitement.

"Oh, no, no, no!" I exclaim and move further away from her.

"What?" She laughs.

"I know that look! The answer is no!"

"Haze, hear me out first!" She pouts at me and it makes me laugh.

I take our dirty dishes and get up, headed to the kitchen.

She immediately gets up as well, following me.

"I am not going to a party with you!" I state, as I am putting the dishes in the dishwasher.

I can hear Eden sigh from behind me.

"Fuck!" I curse, realizing that I don't have any dishwasher tablets anymore, so I turn around to face her.

"This rich girl from my year is throwing a huge party tonight in a penthouse!" She says.

"You act like you have been to many penthouses in your life." She looks at me disappointed when I don't answer her.

"E, I am not going to a party with a bunch of college students."

"Hazel, seriously?"

Thinking about it, we are the same age, it's just that she has to study way longer than I did.

When she sees my realization, she bursts out laughing.

"Okay, but still! I am traumatized from that yesterday's guy."

"But you'll be with me now. What could possibly go wrong?"