Chapter 11

"How do I look
away now that I have
seen you?"
- Rachel Mennies

     Another dreadful week passes.

Somehow it feels even worse than the previous ones.

Tobias keeps coming into my new office that is now the size of a shoe box, asking me who's my plus one and should he book a room for two or just for me.

I see it in his eyes how much he enjoys me not being able to answer that question.

So today I just couldn't take it anymore.

"It will be a room for two." I state in the printer room, where he has found me yet again. This week feels like I can't escape him wherever I go.

It's like he's obsessed with me, not the other way around.

His eyes get so big, I want to laugh.

But when I remember that I had just lied to him like that, there really is no laughter anymore.

"Oh, really?" He coughs.

"Mhm." I pretend to be unfazed.

"That's um.. that's wonderful news, Haze." He is mixing up his words and stuttering, so I have to turn around and see this for myself.

His face is all red.

"Is there a problem?" I tease.

"Don't be silly, I'm glad we're both finally moved on." He quickly says and walks away.

Is there honestly something wrong with his head?

Once he leaves, I let out a chuckle.

I bet he didn't expect this from me.

However when I get back to my office, I lean against the closed door and start to cry.

How the hell am I supposed to find my plus one in exactly three weeks?

———

I told myself that I won't be going out anymore. At the end of the day I think it has made me feel even worse than before.

It surely hasn't made my self esteem better.

However there is this band playing tonight that I really like.

So I am yet again walking to the nearest club from my house.

I am wearing dark red mini skirt and black bodysuit with tiny straps and my long black boots with heels.

I almost feel sexy.

My eyes meet with Pete's, the security guard, and he gives me a long sigh.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't!" He says the same thing he always does and presses the stamp on my hand.

"Thank you, Pete!" I give him a small smile and step inside.

It is already past midnight, so the club is full of people.

They are all jumping around the stage and I really don't feel like stepping in there.

I would rather watch from far away.

So I fall into the nearest chair at the bar counter.

There is a new guy working, whom I have never seen here before. He gives me a quick nod and lifts up his finger, signaling that he will be with me in a second.

I scan the room quickly, but my eyes don't meet with anyone even slightly interesting.

I get out my phone and press on camera to reapply my lip liner, when I feel somebody sitting down near me.