Chapter 5

-

Ryujin's POV

"We just need to add a few more details and we're done with this one!" Yeji cheered as she stared at our half-finished assignment.

"We're doing pretty well," I answered, giving her a high five.

"Honestly, I thought it'd be pretty awkward working with you, but here we are anyway," Yeji said, smiling genuinely at me.

I smiled back and nodded. "Yeah, I guess we just needed to relax around each other. There's nothing to worry about."

"Yes..."

"So, um, what are we now?" I asked, the words slipping out of my mouth unexpectedly.

Yeji looked confused. "What do you mean?"

"Like, are we friends now? Just like before?" I clarified.

Yeji chuckled awkwardly. "Do you not want to be friends with me again?"

"It's not that. I just didn't think I could be friends with someone like my ex..."

"Oh," Yeji said. "Yeah, I understand. Me neither."

Yeji looked down at her notebook, fidgeting with the corner of the page.

There was a moment of silence between us, filled with unspoken words and past memories.

I could tell she was trying to find the right words.

"Maybe we don't need to label it," she finally said, her voice soft.

"We can just see where things go, you know?" I nodded slowly.

"Yeah, that makes sense. No pressure or anything."

A half an hour past Yeji shifted uncomfortably in her chair, glancing at the clock on the wall.

We had been working in strained silence for the past half hour, and the tension in the room was palpable.

"Can you pass me the highlighter?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

I handed it to her without a word, avoiding eye contact. The air felt thick with unspoken issues, and it was becoming increasingly difficult to concentrate.

"So, um, about what we talked about earlier..." Yeji began hesitantly, twirling the highlighter between her fingers. "I think we should address it."

I sighed, leaning back in my chair. "Do we have to? Again? Can't we just focus on the assignment?"

Yeji bit her lip, clearly frustrated. "We can't just ignore it. It's not healthy, and you know it."

I looked at her, feeling a mix of anger and sadness. "Fine. What do you want to say?"

She took a deep breath. "I just... I need to know where we stand. It's hard for me to pretend everything's okay when it's not."

I ran a hand through my hair, feeling the weight of her words. "I don't know, Yeji. It's complicated."

"Why does it have to be?" she snapped, her eyes flashing with emotion. "We were good together once. Why can't we be friends now?"

"Because it's not that simple!" I shot back, my voice rising. "We broke up for a reason, and you're the reason remember?"

Her face fell, and she looked away, blinking back tears. "I remember. But I also remember the good times, and I miss them."

I softened, guilt gnawing at me. "I miss them too, but that doesn't mean we can just go back to how things were."

"Then what do we do?" she asked, her voice cracking. "Because I can't keep doing this. It's too painful."

I didn't have an answer. The silence stretched between us, heavy and suffocating.

Finally, I spoke, my voice barely audible. "Maybe we need to take a break from this, from each other."

Yeji's eyes widened in shock. "You mean stop working together? Just when we were starting to get along again?"

I nodded slowly. "Yeah. Maybe some distance will help us figure things out."

She looked devastated, but she nodded, swallowing hard. "If that's what you think is best."

"I'm sorry," I whispered, feeling a lump in my throat. "I just need some time."

Yeji stood up, gathering her things. "I guess I'll see you around, then. Or when we just have to finish this damn work as paired not friends or not anything."

As she walked out of the room, the door closing softly behind her, I felt a pang of regret. Maybe this was for the best, but it certainly didn't feel that way.

-

"Why do you look so down, bro? Is it because of Yeji?" Winter teases me as she sees me resting my head on the table.

"Hey Ryu, how are things with you and Yeji?" I continue to ignore her.

"Yeji, huh?"

"Yeji."

"Yeji."

"Hey look, it's Yeji."

"Ryu, it's Ye—" Winter doesn't finish because I sit up and glare at her. "Say her name one more time, and you won't see any of your friends."

"Chill, okay," she says, raising her hands in defeat.

"But seriously, are you okay? You look dead," she adds.

"I didn't sleep last night," I answer in a cold tone.

"Keeping that to yourself won't help, will it?" Her innocent smile makes me look at her.

"It's just—I don't know what to do anymore," I say, putting my hands on my face.

Winter puts my hands back on the table and looks me in the eye. "You didn't tell me why you feel that way, but I'm guessing it has to do with your  partner."

I roll my eyes at her. "Why do you think it's her?"

"You haven't been yourself since you started hanging out with Yeji. It's only been two days, dude."

I sigh and look at her. "I already warned myself not to get attached to her, and I swear I've moved on from her."

"Okay then, but are you sure?" Winter asks.

I look at her, confused, and reply, "What do you mean? Of course I—" but I cut myself off. "I... don't know."

"Wow, you still like her, huh? You answered it yourself. You still like her," Winter says.

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck," I murmur to myself.

"What about Yeji? Has she moved on?" Winter asks.

I think for a moment. "I don't know, but we always have moments where we ask each other what we are. Like, are we friends now? Or just partners? I don't know."

"Well, how do you feel when you hang out with her?"

"It feels like the longing and presence I used to beg for when we were together... she's finally giving it. But as soon as we feel relaxed with each other, we always ruin the mood and bring up the past," I explain, and she nods.

"Damn, honestly, I don't want to judge Yeji yet. We're good friends, you know? I can't take sides."

"You don't have to," I reply.

"Can you tell me the reason? I've been curious ever since you two fell apart. But if you're not comfortable yet, just forget—"

I cut her off. "No, it's okay. I guess letting this out could be a step towards actually moving on."

-

An: The next chapter will focus on their past relationship and the reasons they drifted apart. See y'all on the next chapter, I'll try to update this book and the other tomorrow, don't forget to vote!;)