Chapter 10

-

"No..." Ryujin whispered. "She won't die. She will stay," she insisted.

Her mother held Ryujin's shoulder, trying to calm her as she cried about Yeji's condition, whom she also treated like her own daughter.

"Stay with her, Ryujin, even if it's just this once. We don't know what will happen after the surgery," Mr. Hwang said, looking at Ryujin.

Ryujin sighed and helped the man to his feet. "Why didn't you or Yeji tell me sooner, sir?"

"Yeji told me you didn't want to talk to her after what happened between you two. I had to ask a friend who was your and Yeji's teacher to pair you together for a project," Mr. Hwang explained, revealing that the pairing wasn't a coincidence but a plan.

"It was the only way I could think of for you two to spend time together," he finished.

Ryujin stood in stunned silence, her mind reeling from Mr. Hwang's revelation. The reality of the situation hit her like a tidal wave.

"You... you did that for us?" Ryujin's voice trembled, tears welling up in her eyes.

Mr. Hwang nodded, his expression a mixture of sorrow and hope. "I wanted to give you both a chance to reconcile, to find a way back to each other."

Ryujin felt a pang of guilt. All the time she'd wasted, the words left unspoken, and the bridges burned now seemed so insignificant compared to the gravity of the present moment.

"Yeji," she whispered, her voice cracking. "I'm so sorry. I was so stubborn, so hurt... but I never stopped caring about you."

Her mother placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, squeezing gently. "It's not too late, Ryujin. She's still here. You still have a chance to make things right."

-

As the hours passed, they were finally able to enter Yeji's room, the girl was asleep while Ryujin stayed by Yeji's side, talking to her, sharing memories, and hoping that somehow, her presence would make a difference.

Mr. Hwang watched from the doorway with So-hee beside him, a faint smile on his lips.

Despite the uncertainty of the future, there was a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, things would turn out alright.

A faint stir from the bed drew Ryujin's attention. She leaned closer, watching as Yeji's eyelids fluttered open.

"Yeji?" Ryujin called softly, her heart pounding.

Yeji blinked, her eyes adjusting to the light and the room around her. Her gaze eventually settled on Ryujin. "Ryujin?" she whispered, her voice weak.

"Yes, it's me," Ryujin replied, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I'm here. I'm right here."

Yeji tried to sit up, wincing slightly from the effort. Ryujin quickly moved to help her, adjusting the pillows behind her back.

"I'm so sorry," Ryujin said, her voice choked with emotion. "For everything. I should have been there for you."

Yeji managed a small smile, her eyes softening. "It's okay, Ryujin. I understand. I missed you too."

Mr. Hwang and Ryujin's mother watched from the doorway, relief washing over their faces.

The tension in the room seemed to lift slightly as Yeji's presence and words brought a sense of calm.

"You need to rest," Ryujin said gently.

"We'll talk more later, but right now, just focus on getting better."

Yeji nodded, "Stay with me?" she asked softly.

"Always," Ryujin promised, holding Yeji's hand tightly.

A few minutes later, Doctor Kim entered the room, his expression a blend of professionalism and concern.

"Good to see you awake, Yeji," he said gently. Turning to Ryujin and the others, he continued, "I wanted to explain why Yeji fainted earlier."

Ryujin leaned in, listening intently.

"The fainting spell was due to a temporary drop in blood pressure caused by the hole in her heart. This condition makes her heart work harder, and under certain stress, it can lead to fainting," Doctor Kim explained.

Ryujin nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "Is she stable now?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly.

Doctor Kim gave a reassuring nod. "Yes, she's stable for now. However, it's crucial that we proceed with the surgery soon to repair the hole and prevent future episodes."

Yeji squeezed Ryujin's hand, her eyes filled with both fear and trust. "I'm scared, Ryujin," she admitted.

Ryujin held her hand tightly. "I know, Yeji. But you're strong, and you're not alone. We'll get through this together."

Doctor Kim gave a small smile. "With the support of your loved ones, Yeji, you're in the best possible position to recover. We'll take excellent care of you."

"And yes, she will be discharged later and rest at your house, but for now she needs to stay here"

As Doctor Kim left the room, Ryujin's mother and Mr. Hwang exchanged determined looks. They knew the road ahead would be tough, but with their unwavering support and love, they believed Yeji would pull through.

Seeing that Ryujin and Yeji needed some time alone, Mr. Hwang and Ryujin's mother quietly excused themselves from the room. They exchanged a silent nod of understanding and slipped out, closing the door gently behind them.

Ryujin turned to Yeji, their hands still entwined. The room fell into a quiet stillness, the soft beeping of the monitors the only sound.

"Yeji," Ryujin began, her voice soft but steady. "I can't believe you went through all of this without telling me."

Yeji looked down, her eyes brimming with tears. "I didn't want to worry you, Ryujin. After everything that happened between us, I thought it would be easier if I handled it on my own."

"But you didn't have to," Ryujin replied, her voice breaking. "I would have been there for you. I am here for you."

Yeji's gaze met Ryujin's, a mixture of regret and relief in her eyes. "I was scared. Scared of losing you again, scared of the surgery... scared of everything."

"I'm scared too, Yeji," Ryujin admitted, her voice trembling. "At first, I wanted the project to end as quickly as possible because I was afraid of getting hurt again. But now that I know everything, all I want is to be with you."

Ryujin gently brushed away a tear that rolled down Yeji's cheek. "I want to be there for you every step of the way. I don't care if I lose myself in the process, I just can't bear to lose you again."

Yeji nodded, her tears finally spilling over. "Thank you, Ryujin. For forgiving me and for being with me right now, I missed you so much."

"I missed you too," Ryujin whispered, wiping away her own tears. "We have a lot to catch up on, but right now, let's focus on getting you better."

-

An: Oh well... ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯