Chapter 3

It was a rainy evening, and for the past two weeks, Penelope had been very sick. She had been fainting often, violently rejecting any food she had eaten, and was too tired to do much. Finally, Ctimene had enough.

"Penelope, you need to see a doctor," Ctimene insisted, her voice firm with concern.

"I don't know why I'm so tired all the time," Penelope sighed, trying to brush off Ctimene's worried gaze. "It must be all the stress."

Ctimene frowned, her worry growing deeper with each passing day. "Penny, this has been going on for weeks. You're constantly exhausted, you can't keep any food down, and you've fainted more than once. This isn't just stress."

Penelope waved her hand dismissively. "I'll be fine, Ctimene. Just need some rest."

But Ctimene was not convinced. That night, Penelope's condition worsened. She was too weak to stand, and every attempt to eat or drink resulted in severe nausea.

Ctimene sent a quick message to Helen. Within minutes, Helen was at their doorstep, umbrella in hand.

"Penelope, you look awful," Helen said bluntly, "You're as a pale as snow. You need to go to the hospital."

Ctimene and Helen managed to convince Penelope to go. They helped her into Helen's car, and the drive to the hospital was silent save for the sound of the rain against the car windows.

When they arrived, they were met by a nurse named Lyssa, who quickly introduced herself. "Let's get you to a room," she said gently, guiding Penelope inside.

Penelope felt weak, cold and disoriented as she was helped into a hospital bed. Lyssa began running tests. Helen and Ctimene watched anxiously from the side.

Lyssa took Penelope's vital signs, drew blood to be tested, and ordered an ultrasound. As Penelope lay back, Lyssa gently pressed the ultrasound probe against her abdomen, moving it slowly.

Penelope could hear the soft murmurs of the medical staff. The room felt cold and sterile, a stark contrast to the warmth and comfort of her home.

"How long has she been experiencing these symptoms?" Lyssa asked, her eyes fixed on the monitor.

"About two weeks," Ctimene replied. "She's been so weak, and nothing seems to stay down."

Lyssa nodded, her expression thoughtful. "We'll need to check a few things, but this might explain it."

Penelope felt a chill run down her spine. What was wrong with her? She watched as Lyssa studied the ultrasound images, her face unreadable.

"We'll have the blood test results shortly," Lyssa said, her tone kind. "In the meantime, let's keep her hydrated."

Lyssa hooked Penelope up to an IV, and she lay back, closing her eyes.

After what felt like an eternity, Lyssa returned with the results. She looked at Penelope with a kind smile. "Penelope, you're pregnant."

Ctimene let out a squeal of excitement, her face lighting up. "That's wonderful news!"

But Penelope was too shocked to speak. Her mind raced, struggling to process the information. Pregnant? How could this be? She hadn't even considered the possibility.

Seeing Penelope's stunned silence, Helen stepped forward. "Can you tell us more?"

"Yes, of course," Lyssa replied, glancing between them. "Penelope, you'll need to take it easy. Given how sick you've been, it's important to take care of yourself. Your symptoms are consistent with  severe morning sickness. It can be very debilitating, but with the right care, you can manage it."

Ctimene was practically bouncing on her heels. "We'll make sure she does."

Penelope finally found her voice, though it was quieter than a whisper. "Thank you."

Helen placed a reassuring hand on Penelope's shoulder. "We'll get through this, Penelope. One step at a time."

As they left the hospital, the rain continued to pour. Penelope felt a mixture of emotions—shock, fear, and a small glimmer of hope. She had a lot to think about and even more to plan for. But with Helen and Ctimene by her side, she knew she wouldn't face it alone.

They arrived back at the apartment, and the three women entered quietly, their minds occupied with the evening's revelations. Helen and Ctimene helped Penelope to the couch, ensuring she was comfortable before they sat down with her.

"I still can't believe it," Penelope whispered, her hand resting on her stomach.

Ctimene smiled warmly, placing her hand over Penelope's. "You're going to be a great mom, Penelope. And we'll be here every step of the way."

Helen nodded in agreement. "Absolutely. We'll get through this together."

Penelope took a deep breath, feeling a sense of relief wash over her. She wasn't alone. With Helen and Ctimene's support, she felt a renewed strength to face the challenges ahead.