The News

I grabbed some popcorn from the kitchen, walked over to the couch, and planted myself in my seat for the rest of the day. This was going to be relaxing if it killed me, which so far it is. I start off by clicking through channels, wishing something good was one. That's when I saw it. 

"Yes, you heard me right, folks. Prince Ethan, the heir to the crown, has gone missing. We aren't sure of where he could possibly be and the King and Queen are sending out Royal Guards looking for him. We are trying to figure out clues of why he wanted to leave or why someone would want to hurt him. If you have any information, please call the royal palace. We will keep you updated, stay tuned." The reporter lady spits out. The next thing they show is a picture of Prince Ethan, as if none of us know what he looks like. 

Looking at the picture of the prince on my T.V., I wondered to myself how someone can look so mean and emotionless all the time. He looked as if he wanted to run away, so I'm sure that is exactly what he chose to do.

"Olivia," I heard my mom call. "Your dad needs you down at the store, immediately."

"Mom!" I groaned. I look down at my pajamas and my fuzzy socks and wanted to cry at the thought of having to take them off.

"I know, it was your day off, but with the prince going missing, everyone is rushing to by souvenirs. Just, please. I will tell your dad that you get the next two days off if you go right now." She pleaded. I knew that just meant she didn't want to go down herself as she was in her robe and fuzzy socks.

"Fine!" I moan as I get up to change. 

I arrive at my family's souvenir shop and I see this insane line. I guess my dad really does need my help. "Livvy, thank goodness you came! Here, start ringing some people up and I will pack the orders." My dad says.

"Sounds good." I say as I make my way over to the register. My dad and I normally have a really good rhythm together, and that is exactly how we were today. It took hours, but we rang up our last customer and shut the door to the shop. "I don't understand how so many people want royal souvenirs just because the prince chose to up and leave his kingdom." I say while sweeping the floor.

"I don't understand it either, Livvy, but it gave us great business." My dad beams. "I need to get home to your mother, she sounded like she was getting pretty sick on the phone. Can you close up shop for me?" 

I let out a groan and smile at him. "Sure, dad, go and check on mom." He gleefully dropped the broom and ran out of the door. "Well, don't act all excited about it!" I giggle as he dashes home.

I continue to sweep the floor until I heard a voice. "Hi, is this where someone can by some souvenir things from the royal palace?" I must've not closed the window where we sell some of our quick choice items. 

"Sorry, we're closed." I say without looking up.

"Well, that's a shame. Did you hear about the prince?" He asks. 

I look up and its a guy with a hat and scarf around his face. "Yeah, I did. I think its a little silly for him to leave, but once I caught a glimpse of that sad, sad face of his, I understood."

The man chuckled a little. "Sad face? I always thought he looked emotionless. As if he had something he wanted to hide."

I shrug my shoulders. "I guess so. But, I'm pretty good at reading people. He just seems like he needs a day off and if he ran away, which I'm sure he did, then it makes sense. That's all I'm saying." I say as I sarcastically through my hands in the air defensively. 

The man chuckled again. "Alright. Well, will you be here tomorrow? I would love to have a chat about this some more. I like your insights..." He trails.

"Olivia." I say, figuring that he was asking for my name. 

"Olivia. That's a really pretty name. Well, will you be here tomorrow?" He cocks his brow at me. 

I hesitate for a moment, not sure if I feel comfortable with this man. But, something about him gives me this sense of safety. "No, I'm off tomorrow, but this is my dad's store. So, I will swing by to have some hot chocolate if you would like to join me?" I say.

He smiles at me and says, "I would love to. Make sure you bring your interesting insights." He teases. 

I giggle, "Sure will. See you tomorrow." I wave as he walks off. Something about him felt a little familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.