Chapter 1.

it was another early morning, the sun was peering over the horizon as jacks alarm clock went off. It was 5:00 am. Jack had to go to work. Jack stood up, put on a light green button up shirt, a tie, and brown khaki pants (same shade as the tie.) He made his way downstairs, he lived in a small apartment in the city of Manhattan. He poured himself a cup of black coffee as he left the apartment. The store wasn't that far from him, 20 minuetes walking distance. 5 on the bus. Jack Kelly sat at the bus stop, awaiting the bus's arrival. There were a few other people there. After a little while, the bus finally came.

Jack got on the bus and sat on a seat near the front. After a short bus ride, he finally got off at a stop near the bookstore.

Jack Kelly had recently gotten out of college with a business major, but not being able get a job yet, his friend Katherine offered him a job at her bookstore until he found a job. That was a few weeks ago. Jack had been working there for around 2-3 weeks. Katherine went to college with Jack, but majored in literacy.

Katherine had always loved books and writing and had dreamed of opening a bookstore. She bought a small vacant property in the city with her money she had saved and opened a small bookstore. It's quite new. Despite that, it's covered in dark brown wood and green flowered wallpapers. It had an old vibe to it. He made his way to the store and opened the door to see Katherine and crutchie restocking books. Katherine was in the romance section and crutchie was in the fiction section.

"hey Jack!" Crutchie said. Crutchie was jacks closest friend and roommate in college. He had a literacy major along with Katherine. They ended up becoming close friends. He thought working at Katherine's bookstore would help him persue his goals to write great books. He has had a crutch since he was a child.

"hey crutch! Katherine!" Jack responded with a smile. Katherine turned from her bookshelf she was restocking and greeted him.

"race ain't here yet?" Jack asked. Race, or Racetrack Higgins was a volunteer at the bookstore. He was in Jack, crutchie, and Katherine's college. He was a bit sassy but overall a cool guy.

"Haven't seen em." Crutchie said.

"He's probably out getting a cigar!" Jack joked.

"I suppose we should open now..." Katherine said looking at her watch, 6:00 am. She made her way to the front of the store and turned the sign to open. Jack sighed, preparing for his shift.

(A/n: woah! New story! I hope the other chapters will be longer lmao. Word count: 458 words.)