1

Author's  note: Yes, the lore and the timeline are all over the place. But you have no idea how much I need this. I needed to write it the way it is written. Hear me out.

"This is Nina. She's your new assistant."

Ashley was called for a meeting once again. Homelander had asked for an assistant, and she got one as fast as she could. Talking to him was... very unnerving. He knew how to intimidate people. Not only with his superpowers, but with his stance. When she entered the room with the new employee, he already seemed a bit annoyed, which was terrifying. When Ashley was called to replace Stillwell, she never knew how unstable he could be. After some unnecessary displays of violence, she was glad to know that she wouldn't be around him much longer. Working at Vought was very lucrative, but not safe. She intended to be away from his deadly laser eyes as much as possible. Every time they met, she would enter the room carefully, thinking that anything she did could be upsetting. It would be freeing to not do that again, at least not as much. Nina was confused and wondered if Ashley was afraid, or if she was just always like that.

Now Vought was trying to be as diverse as possible. Even if they lost points with the Christian population, diversity was selling the most. After the #HeroesSoWhite drama, they had to show they cared about minorities in general, even the foreign ones. So it made sense that Homelander's new assistant was a woman. Better yet, a woman who wasn't American and who wasn't white. It would show that he likes to work with people from different backgrounds. Being his assistant, Nina would be seen with him around for long periods of time, and it would make the liberals happy. Ashley didn't say any of that to the young woman, only asking her to please be quick with his wishes and to not question his demands. She also promised a nice bonus if Homelander appeared to be satisfied.

He was sitting in the conference room, alone. Nina had seen him in movies, but he was magnificent in person. Wearing that red and blue costume he always wore, and the beautiful star spangled banner cape. When he saw her, he smiled. The assistant smiled back at him, while Ashley still stood a bit uneasy. Nina walked to him for a formal greeting. He got up and shook her hand. He was tall, blond and majestic, almost hypnotizing. His eyes were an indescribable shade of blue that not even the cleanest skies could compare to. It was really like meeting a super human, which he was.

He spoke to her, his strong voice was comforting. "Nina? Nina, right? Where are you from?"

"Brazil." She smiled.

"Oh, yeah. Great barbecue. Welcome to Vought." He took a good look at her. Brown eyes, curly dark brown hair, full lips. She was definitely different from most people there.

"Thank you, sir. Nice to meet you. Anything you need, just ask."

Nina was so happy. Apparently, she was to live in the Seven Tower, just to be as close to Homelander as she could, since her only task was to assist him. It seemed great.

"Make her feel at home." Said Homelander to Ashley.

"Yes, sir." Ashley nodded. "Is there anything else..."

"Yes." He cut her. "We need to talk in private."

Nina excused herself and left. He seemed really nice.

-

"Ashley, who the fuck was that?" Homelander raised his eyebrows.

"Your new assistant?" Ashley's voice faded as she said it.

"Yeah, but why... A Brazilian girl? Where..."

"Diversity hire." Ashley tried to ease the situation. He frowned.

"You need this, sir."

He shook his head, sounding annoyed. "What do you mean?"

"Well, people still think you are a Nazi because of Stormfront." Ashley sighed. "So Mr. Edgar thought it would be best for you to hang out with a Latina..."

He rolled his eyes. She continued. "The Latin-American community really likes the Seven and with that we would win even more points..."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." He waved his gloved hand in dismissal. "Is she competent? Is she good?"

"Yeah, and she's really excited to start." Ashley nodded nervously. "She's very intelligent and she told me she's a fan."

He smiled, thinking about how the young woman's eyes sparkled when she saw him. "Good. I don't need another moron following me around."

In a normal setting, Ashley would be annoyed to be called a moron, but in that case, she was relieved. Another person would be verbally abused in her place. She went home thinking about how Homelander hadn't have an assistant for a long time. He even tried to attribute the tasks to Ashley herself, but Stan Edgar prevented it. He was forced to hire extra help. Ashley felt a bit guilty for not disclosing the full information to Nina, but that was her pickle now. She wouldn't survive the week. Even if Homelander promised that he wouldn't kill her, Nina was just a human. Any other Supe could kill her there. Vought would burn all the evidence, like they always did. Homelander would also keep killing as much as he pleased. As she went to sleep, Ashley realized that her empathy was now gone. It was the only thing that still made her human.

Nina entered her big room and her suitcase was already placed there. The bed was gigantic, she had a TV and a bathroom just for her. Before she came to the United States, her family, especially her mother, always told her not to trust big companies, and Vought was one they usually mentioned. Other countries had news about Vought and the superheroes and it seemed everybody adored them, but Nina's mom was always against them. She used to say that they had a very strange aura and she swore that they were the beasts and false gods written in the book of Revelations. Nina always thought it was nonsense and believed that humans had evolved to the point that some were just born with superpowers. It was just a job like no other. Even if her mom didn't approve, Nina would tell her in the morning.