Chapter 7

"Please, don't. Just don't leave me," the man cried, clutching her cold hand tightly. Tears streamed down his face, falling onto the white hospital sheets.

She managed a faint smile, her voice barely whispers. "No. Please be strong. Live without me."

The man's sobs grew louder, his body shaking with the force of his grief. He held her close, as if his embrace could somehow keep her from slipping away.

IN a spacious room with dim lighting, Cassie quietly and carefully entered. Cody was still in bed, wrapped in a blanket, looking unwell. May  dala itong mainit na arroz caldo na siya mismo ang naghanda. Ipinatong niya ito sa  isang maliit na lamesahan bago nilapitan ang binatang kanina pa natutulog.

"Cody, are you awake? "She asked softly, gently touching his forehead. She could feel the heat of his fever.

'How come you suddenly had a fever?'

"I feel a little hungry," the man said, forcing a smile despite the pain. "Sorry, biglang sumama ang pakiramdam ko. I even had a weird dream."

"No worries. I will take care of you." Agad niya itong inalalayan sa pag-upo. "Here you go. Eat a little to get your strength back."

Cody tried to eat a spoonful but his hands were a little shaking due to lack of strength. Agad naman itong napansin ng dalaga kaya siya na mismo ang nagpakain rito. She carefully fed him the food, making sure he didn't struggle.

"Kamusta ang mga paa mo? Masakit padin ba? Pag nawala ang lagnat mo mamaya, subukan natin maglakad? Kahit–"

"No." Hindi na tuluyang tnakuhang tapusin ng dalaga ang kanyang sinasabi dahil sa sagot ng kaharap. " I mean, not now. It's almost a week but I don't see any good results."

"Uhm, but it's only been a week. Hindi naman natin makikita agad ang result sa isang linggo lang. We can try it again."

Ibinaba nito ang pagkain at maingat na inalalayan ang binata sa pagtayo.

'Nabasa ko to e. It was just easy.' Pilit nitong sabi sa isipan.

"Please, you don't have to." Cody was calm.