2. DIRTY DANCING

TURNED OUT THAT JESS HADN'T been over-exaggerating when she told them about her emotional state. And the fact that she would be watching Dirty Dancing multiple times a day. April went to work the morning after Jess' moved in, finding the woman on the couch already watching the movie and eating her breakfast. And when she came back, Jess was curled up on the couch, tissues surrounding her. As much as April secretly liked the movie, she certainly would never watch it that many times in a row. 

"You all right there, Jess?" April questioned, throwing her keys in the key bowl near the door. Spotting all the boxes stacked around the living room. 

She sniffled, pushing her glasses up her nose, her bloodshot eyes looking up at April, "Y-Yeah. How was work?" She asked.

April nodded, "Busy," She responded, walking toward the kitchen where she spotted the rest of the guys there, Nick and Coach looking annoyed with Schmidt and April that they allowed this person into their home. 

"What have you two done?" Nick questioned. His wide eyes staring at Jess whilst she sobbed. 

"Oh, please, you were even worse when you were going through a breakup with Caroline. This will blow over soon," April pointed out. She grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge, "I'm exhausted and off to be bed. Bye bitches," She said teasingly, walking through the living room, looking over at the crying woman, Night, Jess."

"Goodnight, April."

THE FOLLOWING WEEK, JESS WAS still on the couch watching Dirty Dancing. All of her boxes were now in her own bedroom, but she was still surrounded by tissues from drying up her tears, talking to her mom on her phone.

April luckily had the day off. Which allowed her to relax and have the time to make herself some cereal and lounge in the kitchen in her sweatpants and a large hoody she had stolen from Nick years prior. 

"Hey, are you going to murder me 'cause you're a stranger I met on the internet?" Jess asked whilst Nick walked through the flat toward the kitchen.

He nodded, "Yes, I am."

"He says 'no'," Jess said into the phone. Returning to the conversation with her mom. 

"Hey," April greeted Nick as he took a seat beside her.

He nodded at her, tiredly grabbing his laptop.

The front door flung open, Schmidt and Coach running inside and heading toward the kitchen.

"So, the Wild West party's on this Saturday. I'm trying to get us in, but you may need to call Caroline," Schmidt stated, looking at Nick. 

April rolled her eyes. She had always had a rocky relationship with Caroline. The woman had always accused her of being in love with Nick and never trusted her to hang out with him, despite both Nick and April telling her that they were friends. Friends that had known each other for longer than he had known Caroline for. And when Caroline broke his heart, April was there for him – as well as she could despite how hard it was for her to emotionally help anyone out – the two of them drinking together and binging on pizza. Although it might not have been advice that she had given him, but she gave him the presence of someone who cared for him and it definitely seemed to help him to his feet quicker.

Nick shook his head, "Not calling her," He said, shutting the idea down instantly. Especially once he spotted the annoyed look on April's face at Schmidt's suggestion.

"Hear me out..."

Nick placed his hand over Schmidt's mouth, "Shh."

"Had the time of my life..." Jess sang from the couch.

Nick pointed over at the emotional woman, "We are in this situation because of you."

April looked over at Jess, watching as she sat up and began to hit the pillow.

"I hate your face, Spencer! I love you!"

"It has been a week of this madness. I'm going crazy. Schmidt, I can't take it," Nick explained. Shaking his head.

"You know what? I got this," Coach suddenly said. Walking over to the couch.

"Oh, he does not got this," April muttered, shaking her head. She turned around on the stool, putting her full focus on what Coach was going to do, not even caring when Nick grabbed her cereal bowl to finish off the last bit of the breakfast.

"Hi, Coach," Jess sniffled. Spotting him as he came to sit next to where her feet were laid.

"Stop it," Coach said. Pointing his finger at her. His voice stern, "Stop."

Jess stared at him for a moment, before she closed her eyes and began to wail.

April rubbed her forehead, "Yep. Went as good as I thought it would."

"Schmidt," Coach called him over.

Schmidt sighed, "Okay. All right. Although April got us into this as well as me, I will get us out of it," He commented, walking over to the couch. 

April watched as he took the remote from under Jess' pillow and turned the TV off, "All right. Jess, how you doing?" He asked, taking a seat next to her whilst Coach stood up and walked back into the kitchen.

Jess didn't reply.

"You look fantastic. What if you came out with us tonight?" Schmidt suggested, "You know, after work. You know, we'll fix you up, we'll take you out. We'll get you a rebound."

April sighed when she realised what Schmidt's real intentions were. It seemed that Nick and Coach also realised, the three of them standing up and walking closer to the couch.

Jess looked at Schmidt, tilting her head, "A rebound?"

"Yeah," Schmidt nodded.

"I don't know if I'm ready."

"You're totally ready for it. I'll take you through the whole thing. I'll be...I'll be your guide."

"Like Gandalf through Middle-earth?" Jess asked.

Schmidt tilted his head, "Probably not like...Okay. First of all, let's just- let's take the Lord of the Rings references, let's put them in a deep, dark cave, okay, where no one is going to find them, ever."

Jess nodded, "Except Sméagel."

Schmidt stared at her. Tilting his head.

"He lives in a cave," Jess whispered.

"You know what, Jess, come on. Let's just take the head off the couch," Schmidt suggested, "Come on. Sit up, girl."

April watched as Jess slowly lifted her head up. Actually sitting up right on the couch. April raised her brows, sharing a surprised look with Nick.

"Look at that. Doesn't that feel good? There we go," Schmidt encouraged.

Jess glanced at the trio standing behind the couch before looking back at Schmidt, "I think that sounds nice," She said, sniffling, "She's going out to find a rebound..." Jess began to sing, causing Schmidt to put his head in his hands, "...Who's that girl? It's Jess."

Nick tilted his head, "Wait, did you just make up a theme song for yourself?"