Chapter 5: Devil Summoner and Oni

Seriously, what is going on right now? First, that bizarre dream, and now this! As I stepped out of the cave to investigate the aftermath of the sandstorm, I spotted a man heading straight toward me.

The man had light green, tousled hair and green eyes. He wore a brown cardigan over a white dress shirt, with a loosely tied red and black striped tie. On his right arm was a black armband with a symbol on it. The symbol was a blue, intricate design with an anchor at its center, surrounded by symmetrical, flame-like patterns that created a sense of motion and energy.

He stopped in front of me, his eyes widening as he saw the emblem on my uniform. Then he started speaking, "You! You're from the Tenth Division!" he exclaimed, glancing at my uniform with a mixture of relief and urgency. He muttered something under his breath, something about not expecting anyone but glad for the help nonetheless.

"I’m Sosome Kazetora of the Fifth Division. Two Oni have appeared in this area, and alone, I won’t survive until reinforcements arrive. But with your help, we might stand a chance," he explained quickly.

Ehh, so the Oni is the cause of the vibrations. And that symbol—now I partially understand its significance. But he mentioned divisions, like the symbol I have represents the Tenth. I wonder how many divisions there are.

"How powerful is this Oni?" I asked.

Sosome glanced at my COMP. "Extend your COMP. I’ll send you the data."

Huh? Sending data is possible? I mused. At least we won't waste time figuring out the Oni's strengths and weaknesses.

As Sosome fiddled with his COMP, a sound emanated from mine, followed by Burroughs' voice: "Oni of the Brute race has been added to the Demonic Compendium."

After receiving the data, I reviewed the Oni’s statistics. I was shocked—this was the most powerful demon I had encountered so far.

---------------------------------------------

Name: Oni
Race: Brute
MP: 750/750

Resistances: [Physique]
Weakness: [Electric][Light]

Strength: D-
Endurance: D-
Magic: E
Agility: E
Luck: E+

Skills: [Heavy Blow][Crusher Onslaught][Taunt]

---------------------------------------------

When I kill demons, I’ve noticed that even if they have the same stats, their actual power can vary greatly. For instance, some demons with Strength E- can only destroy a wall, while others can take down small buildings. So this Oni could easily demolish a small town, I thought.

Sosome interrupted my thoughts. "I’ve shared my parameters. Can you send me yours? It would help us strategize."

Ah... I really don’t want to, but I have no choice. If I don’t share, I’ll look suspicious, I mused reluctantly. As I extended my COMP, I realized I didn’t know how to share data with another COMP. Then, an idea struck me. If I don’t know how, I can just ask Burroughs to do it. That should work!

I stretched out my arm and commanded, "Burroughs, send my parameters to Sosome."

"Yes, Master," Burroughs responded promptly.

Sosome's eyes widened "You must be someone important, or sponsored by someone important, to have a COMP with an integrated AI," He said aloud, just as his COMP made a sound.

I decided to pretend I hadn't heard anything.  On the other hand, this creates more questions for me, don't all Devil Summoners have AI integrated into their COMP?