Chapter 7: The Wheel of Fortune

Ding Dong, Dong!

The school bell rang loudly, echoing through the corridors and signaling the end of the day. Finally, the school day was over. As I packed my things, I sensed Nishio approaching me.

"Kagenou, are you alright? You've been absent for two weeks. Do you need my notes? Oh, and are you free? I need to talk to you about something," she asked, concern evident in her voice.

"Sorry, Nishimu-Nishio, but I'm swamped right now. And as for the classes, the teachers have already given me everything I need. Goodbye," I replied curtly.

Seriously, just after getting out of the hospital, I have an appointment with the leader of the Tenth Division, and Akao is supposed to pick me up.

As I stepped outside, I noticed Akao smoking next to a motorcycle. Before I could say anything, she spoke.

"Move your ass; Captain Aaron doesn't have time for you," she said bluntly.

If you want to get there quickly, we should run. It would be much faster!

As I climbed onto the motorcycle behind her, I couldn't help but think about how annoying she was.

As we sped down the road, a question crossed my mind. "Hey, Akao, where are we going?"

"To a little-known bar called the Bar of Fortune," she replied.

A bar? What's a powerful Devil Summoner doing in a place like that? And aren't I about to have the equivalent of a job interview? Strange place for that. I also wondered how I would get in since I'm underage. Soon, we stopped in front of a set of stairs leading down. At the bottom of the stairs was a door with a symbol of two serpents biting their own tails.

So this bar belongs to the Tenth Division. Do all the captains have secret lives? They play the role of a nobody but are powerful Devil Summoners in the shadows! How I envy them! As we entered the bar, I took in the chic decor: a polished wooden bar gleaming under the soft, ambient lighting, the surface immaculate and reflecting the numerous bottles lined up neatly behind it. The shelves were stocked with an array of exotic liquors, their colors casting a mesmerizing glow. The bartender, an elderly man with gray hair and a calm demeanor, moved with the precision and grace of someone who had perfected his craft over decades.

The room was a blend of modern sophistication and timeless elegance. Plush leather seats and dark mahogany tables were arranged with meticulous attention to detail, each piece of furniture contributing to an atmosphere of understated luxury. Soft jazz music played in the background, creating a relaxing yet sophisticated ambiance.

At the far end of the room, a sign marked "VIP" in gold letters on a black background stood out. The letters were elegantly scripted, catching the light in a way that made them almost seem to glow. The door beneath the sign was made of heavy, dark wood, adding an air of mystery and exclusivity to whatever lay beyond.

"Hello-" I began, but Akao cut me off.

"Old man, we're taking the VIP room. Sorry for the trouble," she said dismissively.

Be more polite, even I am more respectful than that! I thought. As we entered the VIP room, something felt off. In the center of the room, I sensed Magatsuhi. Then, Akao activated her own Magatsuhi, resonating with it. Suddenly, my vision blurred, and the next instant, we found ourselves in a vacant room with only what seemed to be an Amala Drum, as Burroughs had described it to me.

Teleportation... No, wait, maybe the original room itself was an illusion? I'll have to ask her as soon as this interview is over!

As Akao and I approached the terminal, she began to touch it, channeling her Magatsuhi into the device. The drum started spinning at a phenomenal speed, producing Magatsuhi and emitting a blinding light that flooded the room. Unlike before, when my vision became blurry, this light was so intense that it blinded me. I felt weightless, as if I had ceased to exist...