Chapter 6: Rion Akao

Defeat. This is the first time I've ever experienced it. Just thinking about it makes my chest tighten and fills me with rage. A shadowbroker should never know defeat! And yet... And yet, I was vanquished. Not by an almighty demon or a god, but by a mere demon. To make it worse, we were two against one! That made the loss even harder to swallow.

But this failure, as bitter as it is, also fuels my determination. If I am to avoid this situation in the future, I must train with all my heart and soul. I need to gather more Magatsuhi and recruit more powerful demons. All of this is in pursuit of one goal: to become a true eminence in shadow.

My body is broken, my spirit wounded, but I refuse to let this be the end. This defeat is not a sign of my limits but a reminder of how much further I have to go. It was a call to rise, to push beyond my current self, to reach new heights of power and control.

I will not let this defeat define me. Instead, it will be the foundation upon which I build my strength. Every drop of Magatsuhi, every demon I recruit, every battle I fight, will bring me closer to my goal. I will turn this loss into the catalyst for my ultimate rise.

So, let this defeat be a lesson. Let it be the fire that forges me into something greater. I will become the eminence in shadow. No obstacle, no demon, no force will stand in my way. From this day forward, I will train harder, fight smarter, and grow stronger until the shadow I cast is one of true dominance.

Now that I've cleared my head, there's just one question left: what am I still doing in this place? The dark-stained wood walls, the statue, and the two torches lighting the room haven't changed since the last time I was here. The only difference is that the specters are absent. Alright, I'm in a dream, so I just need to wait until I wake up for real.

But when I look down, shock overwhelms me. My legs and my right arm have returned! How is this possible? Are they back because I'm in a dream, or has someone healed me? I sincerely hope it's the latter because it would be incredibly disappointing to wake up and find I only have my left arm. That would certainly end this dream on a sour note.

As I'm marveling at my restored limbs, the spectral figures appear. The pressure in the room skyrocketed, making it hard to stay on my feet. I tried my best not to fall, each ghostly figure staring at me as I sweated profusely, straining to remain standing under the weight of their presence.

Then, suddenly, the pressure vanishes. One of the figures starts to speak, "Despite being defeated by such a weak demon, I find that he's got guts. What do you all think?" he asked, glancing at the other specters.

Their eyes-if you could call those glowing orbs eyes-seemed to assess me, weighing my worth. I stood there, trembling slightly but refusing to collapse, waiting for their judgment.

One of the other specters, a tall, imposing figure, "Indeed," it said, its voice echoing like a cold wind through a graveyard, "there is potential in him. But potential alone is not enough. He must prove his worth through actions, not just resilience in the face of adversity."

A third specter, smaller but exuding an air of ancient wisdom, nodded. "His defeat is but a stepping stone. If he learns from it, grows from it, then he might indeed become something greater. But the path he walks is fraught with peril and requires more than just strength. It requires cunning, perseverance, and a relentless will."

Another specter spoke, its voice dripping with disdain. "He is unworthy," it declared, "unlike the other candidates. He should simply die so everyone can forget the failure he is." The figure paused, then continued, "When I was twelve, I could face an army of Oni while poisoned," it boasted

Who do they think they are? First, I'm dragged into this place against my will, and now I'm being insulted? And to top it all off, I hadn't even known I was a candidate for some clan leadership until this moment. Why should I care now?