The Broken Heart

On the next morning Emir woke up before Leyla. He turned over to his left side and looked at his wife who was still sleeping peacefully, with her back to him. He decided to wait for her to wake up, but after five minutes of waiting, he got up and went into the bathroom for a quick morning shower. After the shower, he dressed up in an official costume, ready to go to work, and then went into the living room, where he read his daily doze of morning news on his phone, while waiting for his wife.

When Leyla finally woke up, she was relieved to have woken up without Emir next to her. It was just getting too much for her. She took her phone and saw a text message sent to her somewhere five minutes ago.

"Günaydın, güzelim!" Mert had texted

"Günaydın!" Leyla texted back

"How did you sleep last night?" he asked

"Not bad." she answered

"Or, at least, not as bad as I thought I would." she added "And you?"

"I slept good, too." he answered

"I will be getting up already. See you after breakfast." she texted

"Tamam, aşkım." he texted back

Leyla then set her phone aside, got up from the bed and went into the bathroom for a refreshing shower. She then looked through her clothes in the wardrobe and found a cute, floral dress to wear for the day, combining it with a pair of white sneakers and, of course, her favourite special necklace from Mert - she needed to be beautiful for her driver.

When she was all dressed up and ready, she left the bedroom and went to the living room, where Emir was.

Hearing her footsteps, Emir looked up from his phone and said "Good morning."

"Good morning." she replied

"How are you feeling today?" he asked her

"Good." she answered

A little later their breakfast was served and they sat down at the table to eat.

"Leyla..." Emir exclaimed, taking a bite from his breakfast

"What?" she asked, looking up from her plate

"I want to apologise to you for my behaviour last night." he said "I did not mean to offend you."

"It is not a big deal." she replied

"Thank you!" he replied back

Then Emir stood up from his chair for a moment, went to the coffee table and took a jewelry box that he had left there, after which he returned to the dining table. He opened the box in front of Leyla's eyes and exclaimed "This is my wedding gift to you. I think it would compliment your green eyes perfectly."

Seeing the content inside the jewelry box, Leyla felt a slight tension on the inside, making her put a hand over her special necklace.

The gift from Emir was a necklace made with a gold chain, slightly thicker than the one of her necklace, and a beautiful green emerald in the shape of a teardrop, which did, in fact, match her eyes perfectly.

"It-It is beautiful." Leyla exclaimed, forcing a polite smile

"Shall I put it on your neck?" Emir asked, eager to see her wear it

"B-But my dress right now would not match with it..." she blurted out the first excuse she could think of "I will put it on later."

"I think it would match with your dress, actually. It has green parts." Emir replied