06

๋࣭ ࣪ ˖❇ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖⊹ ࣪ ˖

It was the last day of summer.

The warmth the world was used to had slipped from their hold, as tight as it was. Now a chilly breeze flew through trees and over the ground.

Still, the girl wore only a baggy tshirt and shorts as she walked to his room. Though the slight heat from the blanket clutched in her arms did help, a little.

The tips of her hair fluttered in the wind, reminding the girl of no longer seen butterflies. The sky was growing dim, as was her mood as she noticed all the familiar signs of summer were gone.

She wondered how the summer fanatic
was taking it.

Not that he could see much nature from his window at the hospital. Gray pavement and red bricks won't ever change. Only things filled with life do.

She was realizing that all too well.

The door to the building was cold, like everything else inside of it. She sighed, turning her head and memorizing the curves of the leaves dotted on trees. She wondered how much longer until even those had gone, leaving the tree bare and empty without the brightness that had grown attached to it.

She pulled the door open, the contrast in temperature growing slightly closer each visit. She no longer shuddered upon entering, her body beginning to adapt to the cold as it showed outside, not just in the dread filled prison.

From where she stood in the hallway, the girl could see as a nurse scurried out of Sugawaras room, nodding at her when their paths crossed.

She walked slightly faster to the boys room, barging in without a knock or a notice.

Bottles of pain killers littered the table where the snacks gifted to him were, only they were almost empty versus the unopened bags. They were the first thing she noticed.

Sugawara looked more tired than she remembered. But he still looked like himself, at least.

"I picked a bad day to visit." She murmured quietly, debating on whether to leave.

"No, I love when you visit. My body just picked a bad day to get worse." He said, sighing and lying on his bare bed.

Their eyes met, and it felt like the world wasn't getting colder anymore. Like the illusion of summer was right in front of them as she could feel the ghost of sunlight across her chest. But then she blinked, and she realized it was just his smile that made her feel like that.

The girl was right, Sugawara truly was just like summer.

She wondered if that's why it hurt so bad that it was leaving.

He eyed the bundle of fabric in her hands. "What did you bring?" His eyes shone like he already knew the answer, and he wouldn't have wanted anything else from anyone else.

"Nothing. Just your favorite blanket." She teased as she unraveled the blue and red tie-dye blanket, tossing it over his legs. "I still had it from when I stole it from the beach house. I thought it'd help with your delusions, since you like imagining you're there..." Her voice trailed off as she realized what she was saying. "And you said it was cold last time I saw you." She finished quietly and quickly with a shrug.

Sugawara said nothing as he stared at what the girl had brought him, his gaze temporalily filled with the awe they used to show constantly. "Thank you...You don't know how much this means to me."

The girl smiled. She didn't want to know, either.

She sat down on the chair beside his bed, it seemed to get less uncomfortable every time she sat in it. She glanced out his window, seeing the darkening sky.

"Do you want to watch the sunset?" She asked, gaze still locked onto the glass in his room.

He sighed, eyes following to where the girls watched so intently.

"I don't think I'm allowed to leave today." His words held the same longing his gaze did as he watched the world he seemed so far from.

"We can sneak out then, onto the roof. It's the last day of summer, Sugawara." Maybe she shouldn't pry, but his health was going to deteriorate anyway. What difference did it make if that happened while he was happy, or while he was sad.

He looked down to the floor. "I know it is." The boy whispered.

She quieted. Maybe his health was so much worse today, because he knew everything he loved was beginning to leave. And maybe subconsciously, he wanted to go along with them.

But she was here now. So he worked to stand up.

"Let's go." He smiled, dropping it when it strained his face.

It was peaceful on the roof. Like nothing could touch the two. Here they were, on top of all their problems. Literally. She felt light as the wind weaved in between them, and the last bits of sunlight faded.

The sky was a pinkish purplish, slivers of clouds decorating the image. She tilted her head back as the boy next to her stared, entranced by the whole scene.

Summer was ending, and so was their time together.

When the sun was long gone, and the only light against the black sky were street lamps and the faint glow of the hospital rooms from below them, Sugawara spoke.

"I hope I can watch another sun set with you again." He said quietly.

"Yeah."

The boy turned to face her, eyes lit up suddenly. "One where we're at the beach, and I can hear and see the waves and the sand is below us and the beach house is behind us." He spoke so hopefully stars seemed to light up in his eyes. He reminded the girl of a kid on Christmas eve, praying to the falling snow for a world of what ifs.

The girl doubted the hospital would let him travel so far away. She kept her mouth closed.

Out of nowhere, Sugawara's entire presence changed. He seemed to glow in the midnight air, a huge smile plastered on his face.

"What?" She asked, eyeing him from the corner of her eye.

"Maybe there will even be fireworks."

The girl scoffed. "What's your obsession with fireworks?"

Sugawara shrugged. "I don't know, I just...I think they're beautiful. They have their moment, and then they leave."

The girl turned to look at him. He was staring at the sky.