21

๋࣭ ࣪ ˖❇ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖⊹ ࣪ ˖

It was here. Summer was here.

But that didn't change anything, she slowly realized.

The chirps of the birds wouldn't make him wake up healed, the sunlight wouldn't add warmth to his yellow tinged skin, the green of the leaves and grass wouldn't make the green in his eyes shine brighter. The fresh smell of nature wouldn't take away the faint smell of rotting in his room.

He was still dying, even if the world was a little warmer.

Sugawara had always been patient. But as he lay in his bed, it seemed he was desperately waiting for death to come and take away his suffering.

Seeing him so empty like made her realize how much he was fighting everyday. How each breath was a struggle, a measure to hold onto life just a little longer. But it seemed he had finally stopped.

She didn't want him to. She kneeled down on the floor by his bed, head hung on his mattress. Tears ran down her face, wetting the sheet he layed on. She hid her face from him, not wanting him to see her break down.

She hadn't heard his voice in forever. She hadn't seen him smile in forever.

Slowly, she felt a cold sensation come over the top of her hair.

He patted her head twice, the small action seeming to freeze time. Maybe fate was gone for a bit, again. Letting the two have their moment.

Her breathing seemed to stop.

"It's okay."

He said.

The two words had seemed to take up all his effort, all his energy. And he closed his eyes.