Pt. 8

A week had passed since Valicia last heard from Charles. Her friends, knowing how much his absence weighed on her, kept her busy and distracted. They spent their days selling weed, rooftop running, and practicing their fighting skills, ensuring she had little time to dwell on her thoughts.

One afternoon, as they wrapped up a successful sale at the taco spot, Timothy nudged Valicia. "You've been doing great, Val. How are you feeling about everything?"

Valicia shrugged, a mix of emotions in her eyes. "I'm doing better, thanks to you guys. I just wish I knew what was going on with Charles. It's like he just disappeared."

Ray, overhearing their conversation, chimed in. "Maybe it's for the best. We're having fun, and you've been killing it out here. Focus on that, and everything else will fall into place."

Valicia nodded, appreciating her friends' support. "You're right. Let's keep at it and see where it takes us."

~~~

Val, Ray, and Timothy were at the burger place, enjoying their food and each other's company. The place was buzzing with the usual lunchtime crowd, and their laughter filled the air.

Just as Val was about to take a bite of her burger, she heard a voice that made her freeze. It was a voice she recognized instantly and hated with a passion.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Valicia and her little crew," Chatterbox sneered, a mocking grin plastered on his face as he approached their table. His presence instantly soured the atmosphere.

Ray and Timothy tensed up, ready to back Valicia up if things went south. Valicia set her burger down, her eyes narrowing as she met Chatterbox's gaze. "What do you want?" she asked, her tone icy and controlled.

Valicia couldn't help but notice something familiar in Chatterbox's eyes, though she couldn't quite place it. There was a nagging feeling, but she pushed it aside for now.

Chatterbox continued, his grin widening. "We're just spreading the word. We're hosting the clown games again. Thought you might want to know," he said, his tone dripping with condescension.

Ray and Timothy exchanged wary glances, unsure of what this meant for them. Valicia kept her eyes locked on Chatterbox, trying to read any hidden intentions. "And why would we care about your clown games?" she asked, her voice steady.

Chatterbox shrugged nonchalantly. "Oh, you know, just thought it might be a good opportunity for some...friendly competition." His smirk hinted at anything but friendliness.

Valicia's mind raced, but she maintained her composure. "We'll think about it," she replied coolly, unwilling to give him the satisfaction of a definitive answer. She couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this encounter than met the eye.

"It's in an hour. It starts at the fun house," Chatterbox said as he snatched a few of Valicia's fries and began to walk away.

Without missing a beat, Valicia grabbed her burger and hurled it at the back of his head, hitting him squarely. "Asshole," she called after him. "You're on. I love a challenge."

Chatterbox paused, then turned around with a grin, wiping the remains of the burger off his head. "I'll see you there," he said, his tone laced with both amusement and respect.

Ray and Timothy burst into laughter, clearly enjoying the moment. "That's our girl," Timothy said, clapping Valicia on the back.

Ray nodded, a smirk on his face. "Let's show them what we're made of."

With their competitive spirits ignited, the trio quickly finished their food and prepared to head to the fun house for the clown games. Valicia's heart pounded with anticipation, ready to prove herself and take on whatever challenge Chatterbox and his crew had in store.