Chapter 11.1

The briefing broke up just before lunch, and Ford and Sabrina turned down Baldaran's invitation to join him in favor of going back to Bathir to eat with Lily. "Mother, if you'll send us?" Ford asked.

"Wait," Sabrina said. "Mara, why don't you come with us? Take a break. Spend some time with Lily and Shariara."

Mara opened her mouth, then hesitated. "I cannot spare much time."

"It's just lunch," Sabrina coaxed.

"All right. Thank you, Sabrina. I have neglected Shariara, I know."

"I wasn't implying that. But I know she'd love to spend some more time with you."

Sabrina felt the tug of the Great Crystal as Mara transported the three of them, but she couldn't work out exactly how it happened. They appeared in the front hall of the palace at Bathir, and Ford said, "I'll get lunch sorted and let security know we're back."

"With all this time in secure areas, they're getting a lot of free time," Sabrina said, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

Ford gave her a half-hearted grin and moved toward the back of the palace.

"We'll eat in the garden," Sabrina decided, taking a few steps after him. But she paused when she heard footsteps hurrying on the landing above.

Shariara ran gracefully down the staircase, smiling. "You're back! And you brought Mother!"

Sabrina chuckled. "It was the other way around, you know. Why don't you take her out to the garden? We'll have lunch shortly. Where's Lily?"

"She's doing lessons."

"Ah, yes." Sabrina changed direction. As she left, she heard Mara say, "And you do not need lessons, my daughter?"

Shariara replied, "I finished my work for the day. Besides, you can teach me lessons no one else can."

——————————

It was a quiet lunch, since the Ruschar children were at Tythir for the day. Sabrina hoped Scotty and Aurora would be able to get there for dinner if not lunch.

Mara encouraged Shariara to talk about Allyria and asked Lily about her lessons, leaving Ford free to get lost in his own head thinking about the mission. Sabrina used the time to observe Mara closely, looking for clues to explain her uneasiness about her friend and mother-in-law's state of mind.

When they were finished eating (except Ford, who had been sitting motionless for a good ten minutes working out a particularly complex equation), Shariara said, "Come, Lily, let's go pick some flowers."

"Okay." Lily was always happy to stop sitting still, and she followed her aunt obediently.

"Not the ones with thorns!" Sabrina called after them, smiling.

Mara shook her head. "You credit Shariara with too little sense."

"That was mostly aimed at Lily. Would you care for a stroll too? We sat all morning, and Cynthia wants me to get frequent, short intervals of gentle exercise."

"You seem to be doing much better," Mara said as they got to their feet. Ford didn't even notice them leaving.

"I am. Rosie's still growing at more than twice the normal rate, but she's taking her energy from the Crystal instead of just me. I wish I knew what her hurry was."

Mara sighed. "I do too." She was silent for a moment as they walked down a path planted with roses. "I do feel her drawing on the Crystal. This is unprecedented, so it must be part of Miah's plan somehow."