Chapter 3

In the tranquil moments just before dawn, the world seemed to hold its breath, wrapped in a serene stillness. The sky was a delicate gradient, shifting from the deep, inky blue of night to the gentle blush of early morning. Stars still shimmered faintly, reluctant to surrender their vigil to the approaching sun.

Arjun turned to look at his wife. The soft light of dawn gently caressed her face, revealing her delicate features. Her skin, kissed by the early light, seemed to shimmer like the finest silk. Her long, dark hair, splayed across the pillow, was a stark contrast to the soft, golden light that enveloped her. Her eyes were shut, framed by long lashes that he had felt brush against his cheek countless times, when she whispered words of love in his ear.

Dwarka's princess was enchanting. 

He smiled to himself when he remembered how she had boldly decided to accompany him on a forest expedition. "I am not made of glass, Arjun," she had told him. Now, when loose strands of her mahogany tresses framed her face, barely touching the curve of her eyelids, adding to her allure, he felt like he was beholding beauty in its purest form. 

Her lips, an inviting shade of rose, parted slightly in her sleep. He could still feel them against his, instilling a warmth in his heart. Gandivdhari Arjun was jealous of the light that touched her every form, casting a golden hue. His fingers brushed her cheek, moving strands from her face and tucking them behind her ear.

It was impossible for her not to sense his touch, as silent and tender as it was. Her full lips curved into a small smile. Those lips had always caught Arjun off guard, curving into smirks and playful grins that endeared her to him even more. The object of his observation had always foretold him of the deviousness of her next move, be it a teasing remark or a cleverly disguised challenge.

It only added to her attractiveness in his eyes. He would never admit it, but he loved nothing more than being outwitted by her in a play of words. The unpredictability of his wife was always adding spice to their relationship. Subhadra had always impressed him with her cunning retorts, especially when he prided himself a bit too much. 

His woman was impeccable at grabbing his attention.

It was as if she had heard him; her lips curved into a knowing smile as she opened her eyes. Arjun revelled in the beauty of the sunlight hitting her coppery eyes, illuminating their depths. 

Arjun believed they spoke more than his Yadavkumari did.

Those eyes always conveyed a kaleidoscope of emotions; they had always captivated him. They softened in love, and flashed dangerously in anger. They sparkled with mischief when she teased him, a playful glint that made his heart race with anticipation. Arjun often found himself lost in their depths, marvelling at how they could reflect such a wide range of feelings—from fierce determination to gentle affection.

She was staring at him with an unabashed intensity, and it made his pulse quicken. 

He was crazy for her. Completely and utterly unhinged.

"You know," she said, her voice soft and teasing, "it's not fair to look at me like that and not expect some retaliation." Her lips curved into a seductive smile, one that spoke of her intent to turn the tables on him.

Arjun raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Oh? And what kind of retaliation do you have in mind, my lady?" he asked, his voice equally playful.

Subhadra moved closer, her fingers tracing the line of his jaw with a delicate touch that sent shivers down his spine. "Well," she began, her eyes locked onto his with a smouldering intensity, "Let me start by asking what thoughts plagued you just now."