Chapter 6

Yudhishthir and Draupadi, resplendent in their royal attire, approached the altar. The priest, his voice carrying the weight of ancient traditions, intoned the final mantras. With a solemn gesture, he placed a golden crown on Yudhishthir's head, signifying his status as the Samrat of the Aryavart. A similar crown adorned Draupadi's head, marking her as the Samragyi. The gathered assembly erupted in applause, the sound echoing through the grand hall. 

"Today, as I stand before you, crowned by your support and the blessings of the divine, I am overwhelmed with gratitude. This moment, this honor, is not mine alone but belongs to all of us. To my elders, Bhishm Pitamah and Mahamantri Vidur, your wisdom and guidance have been our cornerstone. You have been the pillars of strength and integrity that have held us steady."

Bhishm, his face reflecting pride and affection, nodded in acknowledgment. Vidur, ever composed, inclined his head respectfully. "To my mother, Kunti," Yudhishthir continued, his voice softening, "your unwavering faith and endless love have been the source of our resilience. You have taught us the true meaning of sacrifice and duty." to which Kunti, seated amongst the dignitaries, smiled while shedding a tear.

"My brothers," Yudhishthir said, turning to look at each of them, "Bheem, Arjun, Nakul, Sahdev—your strength, courage, and loyalty are the foundation of our unity. We stand as one because of the bond we share."

"And to my beloved wife, Panchali," he said, his gaze meeting hers, "your wisdom, courage, and grace have been my guiding light. You are the heart of this kingdom, and without you, this day would not have been possible." Draupadi's eyes shone with pride and love as she bowed her head slightly in acknowledgment.

Yudhishthir paused, taking a deep breath before speaking again. "Finally, I wish to honour the one who has been our friend, guide, and divine protector—Krishna. It is his counsel, his presence, that has steered us through the darkest of times and led us to this auspicious day. Krishna, we are eternally grateful for your support and love. Today, we honour you as our chief guest."

As Krishna rose to join Yudhishthir at the centre, a sudden interruption broke the solemn atmosphere. Shishupal, his face twisted with disdain, stood up abruptly. The murmur among the guests grew louder as everyone turned to see him. His voice cut through the silence, sharp and mocking.

"How dare you, Samrat Yudhishthir!" Shishupal's voice boomed, disrupting the tranquillity of the ceremony. "Krishna does not deserve this honour. There are many others here who have proven their worth far more than he has."

Beside her, Arjun tensed. Out of the corner of her eye, Subhadra saw Duryodhan smirk, leaning forward, eager to see what this would lead to. The atmosphere grew terse, the guests exchanging confused glances.

Krishna remained composed, his smile serene, unaffected by the outburst. He gestured for Yudhishthir to continue, his calm demeanour only adding to the tension in the hall. Yudhishthir, however, held his ground, his voice firm yet gentle. "Maharaj Shishupal, we do not bestow this honour without reason. Krishna has proven to be the unwavering support we needed, imparting us with wisdom and righteousness. He is not just a friend, but our divine protector."

Shishupal scoffed, his eyes flashing with anger. "You speak of his righteousness, yet you forget his flaws, his transgressions. How can you honour someone who has committed so many wrongs? His past is riddled with deceit and betrayal."

It would have been impossible to catch the brief flicker in Krishna's eyes, a spark of intensity crossing his serene visage. "Bhrata Shishupal," he began. "Every person has a journey. One of struggles and battles. I have merely supported the Pandavs in their journey in establishing Dharma."

The hall fell silent, the weight of Krishna's words hanging heavily in the air. However, that did not stop Shishupal, who continued to raise his voice. "What of the other dignitaries the, Samrat? What of Pitamah and the Mahamantri, are you saying they have not been instrumental in your success?"