Chapter 23

The sun was beginning to set over the training grounds, casting a warm golden hue across the landscape. Two princes stood side by side, bows in hand, shooting targets by the second. The atmosphere was filled with the sounds of their training: the twang of bows, the rustle of arrows, and the occasional banter between the two cousins.

After a particularly satisfying shot, Pradyumna lowered his bow and turned to watch Abhimanyu. With focus etched on his face, he took a deep breath, his eyes narrowing as he lined up his target. The arrow, a sleek feathered shaft, rested lightly against the string of his bow. In one fluid motion, he drew back, his muscles taut with concentration. The world around him faded into silence as he locked onto the centre, his heart pounding in time with his breath.

With a swift release, the arrow flew through the air like a comet, piercing the target with a satisfying thud.

Bullseye.

Pradyumna's face broke into an impressed grin, as a flash of fulfilment washed over his cousin. "Well done, Abhi," he said. "That was really good."

Abhimanyu grinned, wiping a sheen of sweat from his forehead. "Just keeping up with you, bhratashree."

"Your father will be so happy to see you," Pradyumna said, tossing an arrow into the air and aiming it at the next target. He drew back the bowstring, his gaze returning to his cousin. "Can you believe that there are only three years left for his return?"

Abhimanyu had picked up another arrow to resume shooting, and stilled suddenly at his elder brother's words. "Hmm?"

"Just three years left, Abhi," Pradyumna repeated, watching him with a curious expression. "You good?"

Abhimanyu's fingers tightened around the arrow, his gaze momentarily unfocused as Pradyumna's words sank in. "Three years," he echoed, his voice quieter now. He forced a smile, attempting to shake off the weight that suddenly pressed on his chest. "Yeah, I'm good. Just... thinking."

Pradyumna lowered his bow slightly, sensing the shift in Abhimanyu's mood. "What's going on?" he asked, his tone gentle but probing. "You've waited a long time for this, ever since you were a kid. What's up?"

"I know," Abhimanyu replied quickly, though the conviction in his voice wavered. "It's just....I was five years old, I barely remember him."

Pradyumna nodded, giving him the space to continue.

"What if I'm not what he thought I would be like?" Abhimanyu said, running a hand through his hair. "Its daunting....the years will be quick to pass and soon the day will come when I am face to face with him-what will I say? what will he say? I don't know how to feel."

Pradyumna lowered his bow completely, stepping closer. "Pitashree always says what will be, will be. There's no point worrying about it now," he said, placing a hand on Abhimanyu's shoulder. "Its also okay to not know how to feel. Trust me, when the day comes, you will know when he realises you are more, much more than everything he could have hoped for."

Abhimanyu smiled faintly, his heart a little lighter. There were still many unknowns, but for now, he was okay with that.

"Come on now, all this training has made me hungry," Pradyumna chuckled, giving Abhimanyu's shoulder a gentle squeeze before stepping back. "Let's go and raid the kitchens?"

Abhimanyu grinned. "Sure."

-----------------------------

As Abhimanyu strolled through the corridors of the palace, he took a bite of his mango contentedly, humming to himself as he passed by one of the chambers. He stilled in his walking, retracting his steps back to the chamber when he heard his mother's voice. Curious, he stopped just outside the door, the half-eaten mango in his hand, and peered in quietly from behind the slightly ajar door.