Chapter 5

"The marigolds over there....no not there, there..." Subhadra could her the voice of her co-wife and sister order the attendants, for the day of the Rajsuya Yagya was upon them. "...and make sure you light each and every lamp by the entrance."

"Jiji, you work too much," Subhadra reached out to touch her arm. "I think they'll manage."

Yagyaseni turned around exasperatedly, her raven locks brushing against her forehead. "Subhadra, it must be perfect." she replied. "It is my duty as a Queen to make it perfect."

Subhadra smiled. "Samragyi, I think you deserve some rest."

Draupadi smiled gently, giving up. "Must I?"

"You must," Subhadra took her hand, leading her into the veranda from where she could oversee the other arrangements. "Indraprasth looks enchanting from here."

"It does, doesn't it?"

"I remember when I first set my eyes on the palace," Subhadra began, a far off expression of reminiscence in her eyes. "It was a daunting maze, illusory in every aspect."

"It was always simply a palace," Draupadi sighed, leaning into her seat. "We made it a home."

"That pond," Subhadra giggled suddenly, pointing to a pond on the palace grounds. "Jiji, do you remember when Bhrata Bheem threw Arya into it for a laugh?"

Draupadi burst into laughter at the thought. "Oh yes, we couldn't stop laughing." she replied. "And when Arya came out of it, he looked like a thwarted drenched cat!"

"He was so annoyed," Subhadra added, grinning. "But he tried to hide it, acting all dignified and serious, even while soaking wet!"

Draupadi's laughter rang out, the memory as vivid as if it had happened yesterday. "Aryaputra Bheem simple roared with laughter and patted him on the back so hard he almost fell back into the pond!"

Watching his wives laugh, Arjun wanted to be let in on the joke. Their laughter abruptly stopped as he sat down, wedging himself between them. The two women looked at each other and burst into a fresh peal of laughter. Arjun, bewildered, asked "What on earth?"

 "Nothing," Subhadra caught her breath. "We're just remembering when you fell into that pond."

Arjun groaned, his eyes widening in mock horror as he recalled the incident. He gulped. "I almost drowned."

"Almost drowned, did you?" Draupadi nudged him, smiling softly. "Who would have thought the brooding brahmin who pierced the eye of the fish in my Swayamvar could have a fun side."

"He pierced it with unparalleled skill, that too," Subhadra added. "I wonder how he does it."

"I was motivated, my eyes on the prize, you see." Arjun smiled. "I could be as brooding and mysterious as I wanted, and it would still wane with the light you bring into my life."

"Aww, how romantic," Subhadra giggled. "So much so, he needs four wives for him to be motivated enough."

"I mean, can you blame me?" Arjun shrugged. "This brooding brahmin needs a lot of motivation."

"Mata!" Abhimanyu came running in with his brothers, almost knocking over a vase in the process. 

"Careful, there." Draupadi warned, catching Shrutkarm from running off too far.

"What happened?" Subhadra asked her son.

"Mata, Pitashree promised he'd tell us stories of his battles tonight!" Abhimanyu exclaimed as his brothers nodded eagerly, their enthusiasm palpable.

"Is that so?" Draupadi said, raising an eyebrow and glancing at Arjun.

Arjun smiled sheepishly. "I may have mentioned something like that," he admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.