Chapter 4

Have you ever wondered why you fell in love?

Subhadra loved everything about her Rajkumar Arjun. 

Whether it was his perfect smile that shone through the darkness, or his piercing gaze that saw right through her soul, or simply his support and respect for her; she would marry this man again and again if she could. Whether it was the gentleness in his eyes when he beheld her, or his ever grounding voice that calmed her- or when he laughed with carefree abandon, or when he held her close with a fierce protectiveness only he could possess. She was undeniably in love with him. 

And she wasn't the only woman that had fallen prey to his charms either.

Her Rajkumar had a penchant for these sorts of things; he was quite the suitor. And every bit the warrior.

Pandavkumar Arjun's skill with the bow was legendary, a blend of innate talent and relentless training. His prowess on the battlefield was not hidden to anyone. Arjun's arrows sliced through the air with a whispering hiss as the twang of the Gandiv rose like a crescendo, a thunderous reverberation that echoed through the hearts of his enemies and loved ones alike. His reputation preceded him, and his very presence chilled the bones of anyone fighting against him.

Arjun's aim was infallible.

Never in her entire life had she ever seen him not hit a target right in the centre. He could do it with his eyes closed. His arrows always landed right in the centre of the target with a satisfying thud.

A skill he was teaching their son.

Subhadra watched as Arjun stood behind Abhimanyu, his hands gently guiding the young boy's grip on the bow. His voice, calm and patient, explained each step with the same precision he exhibited in battle.

"Close your eyes," he said. "Feel the ground beneath you. Remember Abhimanyu, pride comes before a fall. Stand rooted to your ground and your mind will be steady."

Abhimanyu, with his father's same determined expression, mimicked Arjun's movements with a seriousness that belied his young age. She could see the concentration in his eyes, the way he absorbed every word, every correction.

"Open your eyes," Arjun said gently, a knowing smile playing on his lips. "What do you see?"

Abhimanyu opened his eyes, squinting in the sunlight. "I see the target, pitashree."

"Well done," his father smiled proudly. "Don't just see the target, understand it. Let it become a part of you."

It was endearing to see Abhimanyu try as seriously as possible to maintain his focus on the target a few feet from him; his brow was furrowed in concentration, and his posture stiff.

"Release," Arjun said softly.

The wind rustled around them as Abhimanyu released his arrow. It flew through the air unsteadily, hitting the tree instead of the target. Subhadra saw disappointment flash through Abhimanyu's eyes, but Arjun was quick to kneel down and comfort him.

"That was good, Abhi," he smiled. "Practice makes perfect."

"I will practice everyday," Abhimanyu replied, his disappointment giving way to determination. "I have to hit the target."

"And you will," Arjun replied, his hands on Abhimanyu's shoulders. "I know you will, but this is enough for today."

"You know," he continued. "I couldn't hit a target when I was your age either."

"Really? But you're an ace archer now."

Arjun chuckled. "It all comes with the right teacher, and the thirst to learn."