twenty-three. reality

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: REALITY

The air was thick as Rafe parked the car in front of the Chatéau, with Emma staring out the window in the passenger seat. He looked at her, noticing her half-lidded eyes and her silence. "Ems, we're here," he spoke up.

She then nodded and forgot to say goodbye. She got out of the car and shut the door, stumbling towards the building. Rafe was left confused but remembered that he needed to get home, so he left.

She stood still for a moment, realizing how long it's really been since she was home. She noticed the Twinkie in the messy front yard and the feeling of nostalgia hit her like a brick wall. She then let out a breath and walked up the steps of the porch. Trembling, she opened the screen door and walked inside, closing it behind her.

She staggered inside, nearly losing balance. As she looked back up, she realized she wasn't alone.

"Finally," JJ stated as he quickly got up off the couch and moved towards her, pulling her into his embrace. Emma only realized he was hugging her when he pulled away, staring at her with a smile. "Where have you been?"

"Um—with... with Rafe," she mumbled, her words slurring and her eyes unfocused.

He noticed her behavior immediately, and because he lived with an alcoholic and a drug-addicted father, it wasn't hard to realize that she was drunk and high. He also felt a twinge of anger at the mention of Rafe's name. "With Rafe?" He repeated with a scoff as he gave her a once-over. Of course she was with Rafe. She was wearing an emerald green dress and a new gold necklace that wasn't her father's, and heels. "Of course you were."

She shrugged her shoulders and sprawled down on the couch. But JJ was getting frustrated. She seemed like she didn't care about anything. "Did you hear about John B and Sarah?" He asked, and all she did was nod, thus making his irritation grow. He stood in front of her. "What's wrong with you?"

"What?" She asked lowly as she looked up at him.

"First, you disappear on us, again. And then you act like you don't care about anything—and it's like your brother didn't just die! Look at yourself, you're fucking wasted!" He suddenly yelled, projecting his anger onto her. "What'd you take, Emma?"

His yelling triggered her and her emotions practically exploded. She stood up again. "Does it matter? Why do you care anyway? I didn't even disappear on you, I called you today and you didn't answer!"

"We were having a memorial for John B," his voice went lower.

She stared at him wide-eyed. "On my birthday? Without me?"