Chapter 15

Tamra piled her hair on top of her head in a bun and looked at the marks around her neck. They were slowly fading and she was pleased with the product that she was using to fade dark spots. She had gotten an invitation from Karl's mother for them to have brunch that morning and she gladly accepted. It was not only an excuse to get out of the house but it was also an opportunity to get a break from taking care of Zyon for a few hours. As she got herself ready a message appeared on her phone from Trish. Trish was not a real person but that was what she used instead of Quelton's real name in case Karl happens to see a call or message pop up on her phone. In the message, he asked if she could meet him at his office briefly as it was important. She agreed to meet him at one p.m. Shortly after, the sitter arrived and Tamra left for her mother-in-law's house.

When Tamra arrived at Rachel's house she couldn't help but notice two cars parked in the driveway that she didn't recognize. She hoped Rachel hadn't invited other people to the brunch because she didn't feel like socializing with any of her stuck-up friends or business associates. When she entered the house she was directed to the back patio where Rachel was hosting.

"Who else is here?" She asked the maid whom she befriended a while back since she'd been there on several occasions.

"Ms. Alinac" the maid responded.

Alinac? Why did that name sound so familiar? She was sure that she had met someone by that name before but she couldn't remember where.

She decided to check herself one last time in the small bathroom at the end of the hall before going outside. She took deep breaths, fixed her hair, and made sure that lipstick was not on her teeth. When she was finished she stepped on the back patio.

" Tamra my dear!" Rachel exclaimed excitedly as soon as she saw her daughter-in-law.

Tamra gave a smile and an awkward wave as she walked over to the beautiful table where everyone was gathered. She sat down immediately next to Rachel. There were at least three other women who were seated at the table. What did she get herself into? Tamra thought to herself. Then her eyes met someone. Savanna Alinac; Karl's ex. She remembered their encounter at one of Rachel's events. Why did she keep popping up? She didn't like her as Savanna seemed like a stuck-up bitch.

Tamra felt uncomfortable, especially after meeting Savannah's eyes once or twice as she intently stared at her. Rachel must have seen it two for she felt Rachel squeeze her thigh under the table and gave her a small reassuring smile.

After about two hours of conversation and laughter from the ladies Tamra was just about ready to leave. She excused herself to the ladies' room and slipped away then left. On her way to Quelton's office, she called him to make him aware that she was on her way. When she arrived she parked her car where she always does. Once she was inside the building she called Rachel to apologize for leaving so suddenly. She told her that she felt ill and that was the reason for her sudden departure. After she hung up she was just in time to reach Quelton's office.

Kay allowed her to enter since she was already informed of her arrival and as soon as she entered the office Quelton smiled at her.

" Hi, I'm so glad you could make it", he said.

"Is something wrong?"

Quelton sighed and ushered her to sit.

"How is your husband?" He asked.

Tamra stared at him with questioning eyes. Why was he concerned about Karl?

"I have somewhat of a confession to make", he continued to say.

Now Tamra was concerned by his statement. He moved in front of her to half sit, half stand on his desk.

"Is there anything that you want to tell me?" He asked. His question was rather strange.

She moved her shoulders up and down. "What would I have to tell you?" She asked him.

"I know he's hurting you, Tamra," he said.

Tamra gasped.

"No he's not," she retorted.

He stood up from the desk and moved closer to her. He took her hands in his and looked into her eyes.

"I beat the shit out of him for you, because I know he's been hurting you and I'm fucking angry."

"Karl's bruises!" her inner voice screamed at her and her lips curled up in a smirk.

" That was you?" She asked, astonished. "Why? Why did you beat him? You could've killed him Quelton and he's not hurting me. Where did you get that?"

He knew she wouldn't openly admit it because for some reason Tamra wasn't the kind of person who wanted to look weak and vulnerable.

"Tamra I love you" he whispered. He put his index under her chin and brought his head down to her. He looked into her eyes and then brought his lips down to hers.

He had wanted to do this since he kissed her the first time. Hell, he had wanted to do this since he first saw her years ago.

He kissed her gently and deepened the kiss when he felt her kiss him back but it was no surprise when she pulled away from him.

"I can't do this," she whispered.

"Why? Because you're married or is it because you are afraid of him?"

"I'm not.."

"Stop!" He cut her off mid-sentence. " I've seen the pictures. I have seen what he has done to you; what he is still doing. Just tell me. You can trust me, Tamra, you can tell me the truth, you don't have to hide it anymore. You don't have to go through this alone. Please baby just, just let me in''.

At this point, Tamra couldn't stop the tears from running as she lowered her head to avoid his eyes. His voice; his voice sounded so sincere and she wanted more than anything to believe that he could take her away from all the pain; that he could free her from her physical as well as her mental prison. But she was also fearful, the last voice that she fell in love with was the biggest mistake of her life.

"When was the last time he hit you?" Quelton asked softly. He could see her hesitation but he pressed again. He wanted to be absolutely sure.

Tamra looked up at him with wet eyes and she bit down on her lip. He watched her as she pulled the top of the turtleneck sweater that she was wearing down exposing the bruises around her neck. Quelton gasped at the sight and then looked into her eyes.

"I am so sorry," he whispered.

He watched as Tamra pulled the shirt over her head. There were scars and more bruises on various parts of her upper body. Her body was a temple but it was also a canvas of a person who was surviving.

"He won't get away with this," Quleton said sharply.

"You cannot let anyone know about this. I am not only afraid of what he will do if he finds out that other people know but I have my child to protect. He has connections and I won't let him take my child away from me Quelton."

Quelton stared at her intently and for the first time, he saw something that he had never seen in her eyes before. Fear.