Chapter 28

Tamra walked into her lawyer's office hoping she had good news to share. She had filed for divorce from Karl. She had waited a long time to be free from him; a freedom that was at her fingertips if he wasn't difficult. She took a sip of her coffee as she waited.

"Are you okay?" Quelton asked. It seemed he was always asking her that but she didn't mind. He genuinely cared for her and she loved that about him.

"I'm fine," Tamra said as she glanced at her watch and took another sip of her coffee.

Minutes felt like hours when Tamra's lawyer walked through the door followed by Rachel. Tamra felt a rapid change in her heartbeat. She had not spoken to Rachel since she went to get Zyon the day she left the hospital.

"Why is she here?" Tamra asked her lawyer. "I don't want her here," she said sternly.

Rachel anticipated Tamra's reaction but she thought that her being there was crucial.

"Please sit down Mrs. Solomon so we can all leave quickly."

Rachel sat in silence as everyone took their seats. She tried to avoid Tamra's gaze by focusing her eyes on Tamra's lawyer. Quleton sat beside Tamra and he tried to reassure her that everything would be okay just by looking at her. It was strange how he didn't have to communicate verbally for her to know exactly what he was saying.

After looking over the documents, Tamra's lawyer spoke.

"With everything that has happened there was no trouble getting this divorce to go through. So congratulations, you are officially a free woman".

The news made Tamra burst into tears. She immediately threw her arms around Quelton and cried onto his shoulders.

"It's okay, you made it," he said in her hair which made her cry even more.  All the crying, the unhappiness, the threats, the beatings, the bruises; it was all over. 

The lawyer smiled at Tamra's joy and Rachel couldn't stop herself from looking in Tamra's direction. After a minute Tamra's lawyer cleared her throat before she continued.

"There are a few things though," she said which made Tamra turn to look at her.

"What do you mean?" Tamra asked anxiously.

"I know that you didn't request anything but Mr. Solomon has outlined that you should be entitled to one million dollars for each year that you were married".

" No, no I don't need anything from him, all I ever wanted was my freedom".

"Don't be stupid" Rachel interjected.

"Don't be stupid?" Tamra asked angrily. "I guess I was stupid when I married your son. I was stupid when I trusted him and I was stupid to believe that you cared for me, I was stupid!"

"If you don't want to take the money just think of Zyon. You can always put it in a trust for him".

"Is that why you're here? You want me to take the money so it can what, ease your conscience? So that it can help you to sleep better at night? You knew what he was doing and you didn't say anything! The only reason why you're here is for your own selfish reasons".

It was true. The money was a way of making amends. Several investors and clients were distancing themselves from Rachel's business in light of Tamra's abuse. People were angry and Rachel knew that she had to find a way to regain their trust; she had to try to salvage what was left of her and Karl's reputation.

She stood up from the chair and put her sunglasses on.

"I hope you think this through and make the right decision," she said before leaving.

Flashback

" I don't know how long I'll be able to survive in this hell hole," Karl said. It looked as if he hadn't slept for quite some time and his lips and face were bruised.

"You just have to stay strong, you'll be out in no time".

"No, you don't understand. The guys in here hate me for what I have done, it would have been better if I had killed someone but hitting a woman, the mother of my child. It's inexcusable".

"What are you saying?" Rachel asked concerned.

Karl sighed. "I'm reaping the consequences of my actions. I need you to make sure that Zyon is taken care of and make sure Tamra knows that I'm sorry for everything".

************

"Ugh, that woman is infuriating!"

Quelton took Tamra's hands in his and squeezed them lightly in an attempt to calm her down. She sat on the chair and their eyes connected like always. She took a deep breath and smiled slightly at him. He placed a light kiss on her lips before kissing the back of her hands.

"I don't want it," she said softly as if she knew exactly what he was going to say.

"The money doesn't change what he did to you and it could never make up for what he did".

"But you think I should take it" Tamra finished.

Quelton nodded and Tamra sighed.

"Okay, I'll think about it," she said calmly and Quelton smiled that sexy smile of his. His eyes sparkled as he looked at her and licked his lips. She couldn't help but blush at the thought that ambushed her mind and all she wanted to do now was to make love to him now that her marriage to Karl was finally over.

"Can we go?" He asked her and she nodded.

"Let's go," she said softly with a smile.