chapter 1

"Hey, Rennie

"Hey, Rennie. Wake up. Wake up child before I dump the trash onto your head." Johnny grabbed a pillow and hit his daughter multiple times with it.

"Get a life!" Renee yelled digging her head into her pillows.

"I'm trying to. If you'd help me take this trash out." Johnny groaned and kept hitting Ren with the pillow.

"Oh my God. Fine. I'm up." Renee sat up in her bed.

"I made breakfast." Johnny said walking out of his daughters room. She slipped her shoes on before grabbing one of the other trash bags that was in the living room.

"Evie's coming over today for a little bit." Ren said as her dad shut the door behind them.

"That's cool. When's she not?" Johnny laughed as his daughter hit his shoulder.

"I still think you should adopt her." Ren groaned.

"Taking care of two Rennie's? I'll pass." Johnny joked with his daughter who raised her middle finger and flipped him off.

"Hey, i'm Miguel. My family and I just moved into 109." Renee jumped at the voice behind them, he dad started to walk away pushing his daughter Infront of him.

"Great. More immigrants." Johnny said.

"Dad!" Renee hit his chest.

"Actually, we're from Riverside. But anyways I was wondering if you were having trouble with your water pressure, cause I know our sink's being weird righ now and..." Miguel paused as they got to the trash cans.

"Bottle's go in blue!" Renee and Miguel said.

"Listen, Menudo, I've lived in this shithole for God how old are you? 15 years. The pipe's don't work. The fountain's full of piss. The only good thing about living here is that I don't have to talk to anybody, besides my kid. So, nice knowing you. Bye kiddo, love you." Johnny kissed the top of his daughters head.

"Bye dad, have a good day." Renee waved to him as he walked to the car.

"Ok, well...have a nice day...I guess." Miguel said as Johnny got into the car.

"I'm so so sorry about him. He doesn't people very well. Even then he's kind of a dick, and that's coming from his daughter. Oh i'm sorry, i'm Renee, by the way." Renee ranted to the boy.

"It's nice to meet you, Renee. I'm Miguel." He smiled at the girl.

"I, um, I have one of my friends coming over. So I should go get ready before she gets here, but um it was good to meet you. Are you going to West valley high?" She asked turning around from where she started to walk away.

"Oh yeah I am." Miguel said.

"Let me get your number, i'll send you my schedule. It's always better to know somebody." Miguel handed the blonde girl his phone.